2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

miss fire in cylinder 5

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 PM
iloveblazers is on a distinguished road
Default miss fire in cylinder 5

I have a 98 blazer 4.3 two door 2 wheel drive.

I am not really mechanic savvy, so here i go:

I've put in new spark plugs, new spark plug wires and a new cap & rotor. The spark plugs are at what the owners manual says to be (.045). Compression test is okay but maybe a little high, pressurized the cylinder and thats fine with very little blow by (comes outs the exhaust) He's out of idea's of what could keep causing the miss fire.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thank you.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the compression is good and you have made sure that there is spark getting to that cylinder, you may have a bad injector on that cylinder.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 PM

thanks, I believe my dad said that there is no spark coming from #5, how would i go about fixing that or finding out if that is what is wrong with it?

Old 08-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If there is no spark to #5, but the rest are getting good spark, you may have a problem with the wire or the cap/rotor (even though they are new).

Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 PM

not sure if this matters but we have switched wires (moved wire 1 or 3 to #5) and switched out the spark plugs. Same result

Old 08-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Administrator

That would seem to narrow it down to a problem within the distributor.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:58 PM

the cap and rotor?

Old 08-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Administrator

That would be the first place to look. A defect in the cap could cause the misfire. Also, I have seen caps get put on a bit crooked and cause misfires.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:04 PM

thank you

Old 08-13-2010, 09:31 PM

a friend of mine says that it could be a bad piston ring, does that make any sense?

Quick Reply: miss fire in cylinder 5