2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

My Air Conditioner is PISSING me off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Matty Kling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Air Conditioner is PISSING me off!!!

OK - my A/C is acting up something crazy...

1st thing I noticed was that my A/C wasn't blowing as cold as it used to... This lasted about a week of 90 degree weather before I tried to do something about it...

I went to AutoZone and got one of those recharging kits... Blew COLD air immediately afterwards... AWESOME!!

Next week the A/C was being really weird... Now it blows REAL cold for a short burst, then the air warms up to the point where it's almost hot... Then after 10-15 minutes of hot air, the cold air starts again and starts blowing really cold air again... The cold air doesn't last nearly as long as the hot air...

This tells me that the system is charged fine, do to the fact that there is cold air in there somewhere... But I dont' know where the problem lies... Electrical? Don't know...

Any suggestions?!?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: My Air Conditioner is PISSING me off!!!

Most likely is cutting out on the high pressure switch. This would lead me to believe that you have over pressurized the system and the temperature increase when in use causes the system to shutdown to keep from blowing something.

How much refridgerant did you put in? Did you trust the gauge? How does it react on a cooler day?

Old 09-25-2007, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Most likely is cutting out on the high pressure switch. This would lead me to believe that you have over pressurized the system and the temperature increase when in use causes the system to shutdown to keep from blowing something.

How much refridgerant did you put in? Did you trust the gauge? How does it react on a cooler day?
Not sure how it reacts on a cooler day...

OK - I didn't use a guage when I charged it up... I put a little in, checked to see if it was blowing cold, and repeated a couple times (4-5 times) until theair was cold... If I go get a guage, can I just release the pressure from the fitting I charged with?!?

Old 09-25-2007, 03:15 PM
FirehawkNS is an unknown quantity at this point

You really need a guage when doing this. Get one (can just buy arefillkit with one on it)and check the pressure out by having the AC running (engine on) and plug it in.

My Blazer was doing this very thing, but it was the switch that had gone bad.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: FirehawkNS

You really need a guage when doing this. Get one (can just buy arefillkit with one on it)and check the pressure out by having the AC running (engine on) and plug it in.

My Blazer was doing this very thing, but it was the switch that had gone bad.
If I get a guage, and I see the pressure is ABOVE what it's supposed to be - Can I just release the pressure through the low end (the sameend as I recharged)??

Old 09-25-2007, 06:26 PM
MindlessCorpse is an unknown quantity at this point

sure

Old 09-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Aaaaaa....No! It is completely IRRESPONSIBLE to "release the pressure" through the low pressure port valve on the AC system. You should take your vehicle to a shop for proper service. Most likely, you have overpressurized your AC system and it is now trying to self protect itself from having too much FREON in the system. Continuing to use your AC under these conditions could result in a catastrophic blow out of an O-ring or seal somewhere in the system and then you'll be visiting the shop anyway to re-build/repair the system anyway. Save yourself the trouble and get it to a qualified AC service shop. It'll be money well spent.

This problem (most likely) has nothing to do with your engine cooling system or a low coolant level, as they are two completely different and isolated systems, although they do share the ducting into the passenger compartment.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:50 PM

true

Old 09-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

The theory of "steam" circulating through the heater is questionable at best. In reading the posts, nowhere did the original posting mention that the HVAC controls were ever changed/moved, thus I find it not likely that if the HVAC controls (set for AC) have moved the blend door to the AC position, that hot air from steam in the heater core would overpower the ducting (set for AC) and dump hot air into the vehicle. I don't buy it. It has been my experience that a low coolant level will NOT provide any appreciable heat in to the passenger compartment even when the HVAC controls are set to "HEAT". Besides, your theory of steam in the cooling system is all wet, because the system would not flash to steam until the system is opened, and if there is a leak in the system to cause the low coolant level, the system is already open and would be venting through the leak point and not allowing steam to build up pressure in the cooling system.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:19 PM

ok

Quick Reply: My Air Conditioner is PISSING me off!!!