2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Is my distributor bad or not???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Beginning Member
Nutty 99 Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Is my distributor bad or not???

I just recently replaced the cap & rotor on my distributor and figured I would inspect the camshaft sensor while I was in there. I've got a problem with a P1345 code. I've searched over the forums but haven't exactly found the answer to my newest question. So, while I had the cap off the distributor I found that the rotor will rotate considerably. In all the years of wrenching I've never seen a rotor with this much play in it. It will rotate at least 1/4" or slightly more. I would have to assume this is abnormal and is most likely the source of my P1345 code. The Blazer still runs just fine without any problems. Could the computer be compensating that much for a worn out distributor to keep the motor running fine? I would have to assume this is the result of having a worn drive gear at the end of the distributor shaft. Can anyone confirm this assumption? What are the opinions about this type of problem? Is it better to just replace the entire distributor or pull the old one out and put a new drive gear on it? 99 Blazer has 110K on it if that helps.

Thanks as always!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Pull it out and see what the gear looks like. It does sound excessive. A new distributor is more cost effective than a drive gear.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Beginning Member
Nutty 99 Blazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Pull it out and see what the gear looks like. It does sound excessive. A new distributor is more cost effective than a drive gear.
I agree the play in the rotor seems excessive but I'm new to these Blazers. First time I've wrenched on one myself.

I was also thinking the best solution is just get a new distributor. However, that raises another question about installing a new distributor and getting the timing correct. I have a subscription to alldata and it instructs that one should place the #1 piston on TDC on the compression stroke and mark the rotor/distributor body with a correlating mark on the intake so you know where #1 TDC is when you install the new distributor (hope this makes sense). It also explains that as you pull the old distributor out that the rotor will rotate 42 degrees and you should mark that position as well to install the new distributor in the correct position (as I understood what I read). My question is should I trust the worn distributor with that much play to give me accurate reference marks to install a new distributor. Or is this simply a case where I'll need to put #1 at TDC and use the trial and error method?

Thanks!