Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Need Advice (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/need-advice-47985/)

midnightmekanik 08-15-2010 08:31 PM

Need Advice

So, my trans is on its way out. Lazy 3rd gear shift, with too much throttle, no 3rd gear at all. Had it tested, and was told it was the clutch packs going.

I was going to put in a 5speed, but the wife wants me to fix it for her, because she likes the truck so much. So I will fix the auto, now onto my questions...

1. I will remove the trans myself, should I rebuild it myself, or take it to a shop?

2. What should be changed to avoid future problems in the trans? I know to do the rear main seal, trans front seal, but what else should get done? Should I do (or get it done) the front pump? Any other things while the trans is out?

3. Should I just buy a reman trans? I don't know if it would be more cost effective as compared to rebuilding the old one?

4. This is probably a dumb question, but should I install an external trans cooler on top of the factory one?

Thanks for any help!

swartlkk 08-15-2010 08:48 PM

I'll start with #4 first. I have always installed an aux cooler with the factory cooler in all of my vehicles (after the factory cooler if at all possible). Use the B&M SuperCooler which is a stacked plate cooler with a viscosity controlled bypass so as not to overcool the fluid.

I would recommend a quality rebuild. Unless you've successfully rebuilt a transmission before, or know someone who has that can watch over your shoulder, they are things best left to experience.

midnightmekanik 08-16-2010 08:06 PM

Yeah, I figured the external cooler would be a given...

I would like to rebuild it myself, but I haven't worked on an auto trans, and none of my friends that have want to screw with it! :lol:

Is there any other things I should have replaced while the trans is being done? Common things to go on these trannys?

swartlkk 08-16-2010 10:26 PM

Take a look at this thread:
4L60E Tranny Rebuild Thread

If you are even thinking about tackling this, get yourself the ATSG manuals and try to find a few different videos showing the rebuild process. Read up on and watch the process and then determine if you are ready for it. There are MANY things that can go wrong with

midnightmekanik 08-17-2010 07:28 AM

Mmmmmmm.....

I don't think I'm taking that on... Doesn't look too difficult, but I see myself losing those ball bearings in the valves, then lifting the transmission (almost pooping myself in the process) and launching it through the garage door! :icon_goofygrin:

I think I'll have it rebuilt. I'll probably buy the parts, good ones, seeing that I'm saving on labour taking it out and re-installing myself. The r&r I can handle... done it a few times on different vehicles...

midnightmekanik 08-18-2010 01:17 PM

Ok... now this gets even more retarded...

Took the truck to another shop, for a second opinion. This was a cousin of one of my very close friends who ran the shop. He took the truck out for a spin, and comes back saying there's nothing wrong with the transmission itself, and that it has to be electrical...????

He took me for a spin, and put it in 3rd. He floored it off the line, and it shifted perfectly, and crisply into each gear. He put it back into O/D, and it shifted fine again. He told me he noticed that the gauges were a little erratic when the turn signal was on, and when the stereo was going. He asked if I had checked the alt, I told him it was 2 weeks old. We tested it, and it was fine.

Now I'm all buggered up, because now the truck is working fine, aside from running a bit rich. What gives????

He pulled it in, and gave it a full diagnostic. I have no idea what that entails, but almost an hour later he comes out and says that the trans, solenoids are fine. Basically telling me that I was imagining things! LOL

So my question is, what would cause this? I thought back, and noticed that these issues started the same time the gauges went all wonky when the signals or bass were going... Could this be related??

FYI - alt is good, charging, and voltage shows 14.3 at idle when warm.
Trans fluid is at proper level, and not burnt or discoloured at all.
I hope I can find this electrical gremlin... :icon_no:

Franco 08-18-2010 02:34 PM

Check the grounding straps to the body. I remember having to clean and reseat these when I had a '94. Fixed some funny behavior re: instrument cluster. Also look at fuses and relays.

peace

midnightmekanik 08-27-2010 10:00 AM

Ok, so now that I have a beater to drive while I fix the truck, I can dive into fully diagnosing the trans issues... I got myself the ATSG manual (found it in PDF form online, if anyone wants it, I can PM them unless of course I'm allowed to post the files here in the open).

I am going to start with simply draining fluid, analyzing it, and checking solenoids. If need be, I will take the trans off, and take my time to completely rebuild it. It might not need a full rebuild, but if per say the valve body needs to be replaced, and I have to take the trans off anyways, I might as well do it all so I don't have to do it again!

These are two links I found for rebuild kits. There is another that has Borg-Warner components, but does not have all the components the Alto kit has. Are these good choices? Do you think that maybe I should just get all the parts, and take it into a shop to get it done?

I would really like to try it, maybe any members here that live around the GTA that are experienced might want to help me? I have beer!! :icon_beerchug:

EDIT : Maybe I should get the sunshell as well to eliminate all variables?! LOL Brand new tranny!!! LOL

Rebuild Kit :

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Heavy-Duty-Super-...ts_Accessories

Rebuilt Valve Body:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/4L60E-REBUILT-VAL...ts_Accessories

swartlkk 08-27-2010 08:38 PM

Get 'The Beast' sunshell. They aren't all that expensive and cheap insurance!

Franco 08-28-2010 10:00 AM

If you're going to take it apart anyway, do the sunshell.

Mine broke a couple of years ago in my 2002... no warning. I had no other trans problems and just under 100,000 mi. on the vehicle. You lose 2nd and reverse. Was in Manhattan too! I got it home though...

After shopping around, I had a GM factory rebuild put in at a dealer. Cost a bit more than private shops, but not when you figure in the 3 year/100,000 mile warranty.

I asked questions and found out that GM also uses an updated sunshell in the rebuilds. As Kyle said, it's cheap insurance.

Good luck with the project.