2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

need help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:11 PM
00blazerLS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need help !!!

2000 LS blazer. last issue it had was stalling for no reason and it ended up being a faulty coil. that seemed to have fixed problem and its been running fine. well yesterday the temperature was pretty hot and humid and the blazer almost stalled on my fiance as she pulled into gas station. now from what she has told me and what i was able to find out when i got there was that the key when she pulled it out was hot enough that it burned her and when she went to start it again after getting gas it would not start. it only turned over. also it seems that the blazer was running hotter than normal. it did start up again after it cooled off a little. does anyone have any idea what might be the problem???

Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: need help !!!

I find it very difficult to understand how the ignition key could get hot enough to burn someone. Can you define "pretty hot"? Or what "hotter than normal" is?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 PM

key was LITERALLY hot enough to burn her when she took it out. i had to ask that question more than once myself because i didnt know that could happen. as for the blazer running hotter than normal i should have been a little more clearer on that. it was running above normal operating temperature. it was sitting about 210 when usually it sits about 150/160 regardless of stop and go or highway driving. hope you can help :-)

Old 08-08-2008, 03:11 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Id say you have more issues at hand....150/160 is wayyyyy too low considering you've got a 195* thermostat in there...

Old 08-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to start in the steering column then. The key should definitely not be hot enough to burn someone. I have never heard of even a failing ignition switch causing the key cylinder to heat up at all, let alone enough to burn someone...

Old 08-08-2008, 10:30 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

What if she just left the key on the dash or on the bumper while she was pumping the gas.....sunlight will heat it up pretty quick

Old 08-08-2008, 07:10 PM

not sure how much each line represents on the temperature gauge but where it usually sits is right above the second big solid white line. when i checked it after she called me it was sitting at the 210 mark. as for the sun heating the key i wish it was that. it burned her as she took it out of the ignition. in oregon its against the law to pump our own gas so you usually stay inside the car unless you need something from the store or the restroom. after she got gas it wouldnt start until blazer cooled down a bit

Old 08-09-2008, 12:14 AM
BF Veteran

well I suppose it is possible....I've noticed my stereo gets wicked hot on long trips, as well as the surrounding plastic.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:58 PM

ok still have problems here. blazer starts right up like it should. temperature gets up to about 190/210 and seems to stay. if i turn the engine off and then try and start it up again it just turns over. i have spark and it fires up with gas poured down the throttle body. i watered down the coil and engine control module to see if once cooled it starts up and it did but could be that whatever else was the problem cooled down enough with the tinkering around i was doing to allow the engine to start again. anyone have any suggestions???

Old 08-16-2008, 05:22 PM

hate to be pushy but i really need some help. couple days ago i was in an auto accident with my other vehicle and now im having to deal with my blazer once again on top of dealing with the insurance companies. blazer starts just fine but once it gets to operating temperatures and you turn the motor off it does not want to restart until it cools down. dad and i are thinking ignition control module but im not wanting to throw down 100+ dollars for something that might not fix the problem. auto part stores cant check to see if its bad. engine turns over but wont start. i have spark.can pour gas down throttle body and it will start but then dies. can the ignition control module be the culprit???? thanks to anyone who can help :-)

Quick Reply: need help !!!