2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need help dont know where to start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Beginning Member
Bradley2424 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Need help dont know where to start.

HEy guys I need help and dont know where to start. I don't know how to search for my problem because I don't know what is really wrong with my car. So here is the deal. I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer 4d 4X4 LT. It has 99,000 miles on the car. The problem is we have replaced the battery 3 times in the last 7 months. I bought a duralast gold. SO I have a 3 year warranty (thank god). The problem is some times I can turn the key one time and start the car with no problem. Other times it could take 2-5 turns of the key to start the problem. I have them the car up to auto zone for them to run tests on my battery and the last 2 times I did that I waled out with a new battery. Now I have done some searching on the site for starter problems but nothing is coming up close to my problem. I dont think its a starter problem and I kinda do. I would say it is having problems turning over then the motor is cold. And its starting to get cold here in Missouri in the morning. But once you drive the car and get the motor heated up. You can turn the car off and start it back up or have to turn the key no more the 2 times. SO that is why I am stumped. I also been told it might be a bad battery cable. My connectors are in good shape and tight. I can see any tears of any kind in the wire. So I am really stumped guys. Got any ideas or test I can do. Oh and when you turn the key right before you start the car the Battery gauge stops on 12. The when the car starts it goes straight up to 14 so I know its not the alternator. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When it doesn't start, does it make any noises like it may be attempting to start? If not, the problem could be your ignition switch.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Beginning Member

Oh no it tries to start. It tries to turn over but it some times needs to have the key turned a few times to get it to start. Its just being retarded and dose not want to fully turn over. I can sometimes can turn the key really quick and get it in 1 or 2 tries.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Start here then:
96+ Fuel System Diagnosis

Old 10-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Beginning Member

Ok I will look can you explain your thinking. Now I don't know a lot about cars I know some. But what you are asking me to look at dose not make sense to me. I never said anything about fuel. I have had to replace my battery 3 times. SO can you please explain to me what you think it might be

Old 10-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Ok... So it does try to turn over, but gets stuck? Or doesn't roll over completely? I took your response to mean that it turns over, but doesn't fire...

Remove the starter and have it tested. While the starter is out, remove the main positive battery cable and pull on it. If it stretches, replace it.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member

Ok so you are thinking its the starter. Would a bad starter kill the battery. Is there a step by step guide to replace the starter.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Beginning Member

dose any one have a step by step on the site here to replace the starter on a 2000 chevy blazer I have never done it.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Please wait for responses rather than break forum rules.

As far as a stater removal how-to, it really isn't that bad. Disconnect the battery, remove the two bolts, disconnect the wiring, and remove. The last step can be patience trying, but it will come out. You just have to keep moving it around and it will literally fall out.

You may want to consider getting a good manual. Haynes or Chilton if you can't afford a FSM (factory service manual), but you can't beat a FSM.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:06 PM
zrider79 is on a distinguished road

i was having problems with my blazer a couple years ago and it sound like you are having a similar problem. it took a few turns of the key to get the engine started. it turned out that the fuel pump was going bad and not giving good pressure. as you can read on these forums, the fuel pump has to be replaced in a lot of blazers/S10s and many other GM trucks around 100,000 miles. when you turn the key to the on position you should be able to hear the fuel pump primming and when it is running the fuel pump should have a steady hum.
i recently had to repalce my ignition assembly. the motor would turn over, but none of the electronics were powering up. it was not that hard to do, but took patience.
the starters are actually quite good on GMs and do not fail that often, but can.
a motor with 100,000 miles will need a good tune up. it will need plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel filter. start with this stuff to get the motor firing strong.

Quick Reply: Need help dont know where to start.