2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need help dont know where to start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Beginning Member
Bradley2424 is on a distinguished road

I went to Advance Auto parts. I have 2 bad o2 sensors, and he said my starter is starting to go bad. He said the starter is 11 out of 12 volts. So he said its starting to go but its not too bad. So That was kinda good news so I guse what I need to do is probley drop the tank and replace the fuel pump I have to replace the fuel gauge sensor anyway its going bad. Everytime I fill the car up when its on E it only takes 14 gallons. So its a little off. Is there a step by step to drop the tank and is it a 1 person job or better for 2 people.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:47 AM
zrider79 is on a distinguished road

replacing the fuel pump is not too hard, but it takes planning. when working with something dangerous it is best to have 2 people, but i did replace my pump 95% by myself. you can have a jack to help support the tank once it is unbolted. drive your truck until you are almost all the way out of fuel, that way your tank is as light as possible.
ideally, you need a lift so that you have decent room to move under the truck and room to drop the tank. if not then lift the truck up as high as possible. make sure to have a fire extingusher in your work space and take the safety precautions so there is no chance of a fire.
most of the directions needed should be in a shop manual or online.
be careful removing the connections on the top of the tank, becasue they are plastic. study the new fuel pump first to understand the connections. also, be aware of the condition of your o-rings and install them properly.
when you get your new pump clean the fuel level sender surface so that it reads properly. there can be some grease that is on there to keep the contacts clean when shipping. if that is not clean then your tank will not read properly when it is first installed.
have a good set of sockets and extensions to get into the tight corners and hoses that are used to fill the tank.
it is also a good idea to replace the electrical connections that go to your tank. they seem to wear and you will not have a good contact to the new connection. if you do not replace them, then carefully bend the contacts closer with a sharp pick on the female connection. it can be done, but it is not the best.
good luck and take your time. it is a job that you only want to do once.