2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

new ac system

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Beginning Member
98ls is on a distinguished road
Default new ac system

i just replaced the compressor orifice tube and dryer on my 98 and the clutch will not engage. i have tried jumping the cycle switch and it still wont come on. i tried running t12 volts to the plug by the clutch and it kicks on then. any ideas or tips will be appreciated

Old 06-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Starting Member
killallblue is on a distinguished road

did u charge the new system did u put oil in the new **** did u put a check the relays

Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Did you transfer the high pressure cut out switch on the rear of the compressor? If not, the compressor clutch will not engage. The switch is held in place with a snap ring and the refrigerant must be drained before you remove the plug from the rear of the new compressor.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Beginning Member
98ls is on a distinguished road

yes added oil checked relay by swapping it with the horn relay and added freon also transferred high pressure swith

Old 06-09-2011, 06:19 AM
Beginning Member
weazel is on a distinguished road

I would say your still low on refrigerant.. The compressor will not engage if you dont have the right amount in...

Old 06-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Starting Member
Frog is on a distinguished road

What are your static A/C pressures???
I would check all of the pressure switches (low and high) and wires....could have a faulty switch. Or not enough pressure in the system.

Are you using a manifold gauge set or the gauge that you get with the Freon in a can??

Old 06-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Disconnect the cycling switch: With the ignition in the run position and the A/C on, do you have battery voltage on one wire at the cycling switch harness connector and less than 5 ohms resistance to ground on the other?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Beginning Member
ozspearo is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I'm in the process of changing the air con compressor in my '99 2dr and wanted to post a warning for anyone who finds themselves in the same predicament. Having just spent several thousand $$ on other repairs I decided to get the cheapest compressor I could find. Did a search on line and found a "Replacement" brand one (PtNo REPC191115) which claimed to be a direct replacement for my car. Long story short, it's not. I'll post the full story in a new thread, but just wanted to post this in a few existing threads so no one gets ripped off like I did.

-Scott

Old 06-10-2011, 07:18 PM
rodono is on a distinguished road

did you put your system on a vacuum pump to get all the air out and check for leaks?
Being a HVAC tech i see this all the time they dont get the air out and doesnt run properly.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:45 AM
Beginning Member
ozspearo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rodono
did you put your system on a vacuum pump to get all the air out and check for leaks?
Being a HVAC tech i see this all the time they dont get the air out and doesnt run properly.
Haven't vacuumed the system. Had a local repair shop recharge the system while they were doing other repairs. It dumped the lot over a weekend, with a ton of dye around the center of the compressor body, hence my current dilemma.

The service manual doesn't mention vacuuming the system when replacing the compressor. Is this essential when the system has been depleted through either a leak or the replacement?

Quick Reply: new ac system