Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   New rear brakes smoking 2002 (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/new-rear-brakes-smoking-2002-a-67628/)

blanco36 02-03-2012 08:47 PM

New rear brakes smoking 2002

Question, I just installed new rear rotors and brake pads...... now they are smoking....
what could it be ?

bigcountry58 02-03-2012 08:53 PM

There are 2 answers... the calipers are toast or the rubber hoses that lead to the calipers are toast.

I personally would say calipers, but that was my experience as the rubber hoses seemed to be in good condition.

These are pretty well documented issues... Even though the calipers seem to go back in just fine, there is some sort of corrosion that inhibits full depression.

war00 02-03-2012 11:49 PM

yup, what he said. but also depending on which brakes your talking about, if its the front the caliper is stuck on or the hose is leaking and if its the rear its the caliper is stuck on, hose is leaking or the axle gasket is leaking diff fluid on the rotor and burning off. one way of telling if the caliper is stuck is take it for a decent drive and with a temp gun aim it at each rotor and take a reading, if one is higher than another take the wheel off and try and compress the caliper all the way in if really hard to compress it needs replacing, if easly compressed you need to see if you contaminated the pads/rotors when assembling with brake lube/antisieze/oil/wd40 or a leaky brake hose which all could be burning off the brakes.

blanco36 02-04-2012 10:12 AM

Thanks for your responses.....we installed them last night,come to think of it, we did not clean off the rotors before we installed them..... they did seem a little oily.... could that be the problem...just burning off the oil or whatever was on them??? It is smoking on both sides, the calipers seemed to be depressing ok when we put the pads in......

war00 02-04-2012 10:21 AM

yes that is your problem i suggest getting some brake clean and cleaning all components of the brake system. because if you dont you will lose braking power and eat threw the pads in no time and run the risk of warpping the rotors.

abig84 02-04-2012 10:59 PM

yeah you should spray those off. but i havent before in the past and never seen them actually smoke, just stink. also were the caliper pins free and moving?

blanco36 02-05-2012 12:43 PM

Thanks again for your responses.... I drove it again today, the rear rotors were not smoking, but were still hot to touch when I checked them when I got home....smelled some burning.....am I going to have to take them apart and clean them with brake clean? Or could I spray the rotors when they are on?

blanco36 02-05-2012 04:19 PM

Well, went outside again and put it in reverse and then drive and did not give any gas and let it roll.... I hear a squealing/squeaking noise while it is rolling..... When going in reverse without giving gas, it would roll a few feet then stop.....the same while going forward....

Could the calipers be stuck? Or maybe the emergency brake needs adjusting? Any response will be appreciated...... If it is the emergency brake, how do you adjust that? I have a 2002 LS 2WD...... I did press in the emergency brake to see how it is...it is kind of hard to push all the way down.... Is that normal??

Also, pushed in the emergency brake, tried to go forward...would not move while giving gas.... tried the same in reverse while giving gas, and it would move some...

98blazin 02-05-2012 04:50 PM

i had that happen to me too. it was rust on the disk that was rubbing inside the caliper on the little metal shim.

i cleaned the disk with a hammer to free the rust and everythink has been fine since.

blanco36 02-07-2012 05:22 AM

Thanks again for your response...I am trying to figure out what disk you are talking about? The piston inside the caliper??? I took the wheels off AGAIN...and where the emergency brake goes, it looks like it is rubbing inside the rotor because of the color inside..had some heat marks...Question...how do you adjust the emergency brake? What if I take the emergency brake pads out and leave them out, will that cause an issue? Or would it be that I just will not have an emergency brake? Could it be the guide pins are not floating on the calipers? I depressed the piston again and it went on the rotor good....but have the same issue will backing up and going forward.... I really appreciate every ones help.