2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

no 5v ref no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Beginning Member
joseywales is on a distinguished road

yeah hard to say on that one , i did actually look closer at the injectors on this standard motor products one , and 2 things stuck out ...

1. the electrical connectors say ' DELPHI" on them
2. they are also numbered on each injector and each injector is placed in opposite sides of the numbers on the injector body .
IE : injector one is in number 2's place and 2 is in 1's place - not even kidding the same for the rest , not that it affects anything caue ultimately each injector is in the proper cylinder according to the numbers on the main body .

1 though - that got me , i could rotate all the injectors but one ,where the white plastic tubing crimps to the top of the injector inlet , any thoughts on that ? to me i would think that they should not spin and be crimped tightly given the fuel pressure on these ?

so fuel injector replacement 1 - misfired at idle and then less then 20 minutes later started flooding the engine
warranty replacement injector , floods the engine so badly it wont start right out of the box - both standard motor products .

and what makes this even stranger is ,m and i cant remember what brand but i went thru this exact same thing 15 years ago on a 92 i had with the first cpi units - 2 brand x failed injectors , ac delco saved the day. waiting for a delco part to arrive in about a week . lets see . i will post back .

Old 01-26-2023, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member

oh boy here we go , so this is a fuel problem , but im at my wits end

1 . i tested the spider with plenum off , no leaking injectors ,no leaks period . fuel pressure still risies to 60 then falls to 20 an d down it goes
2. suspecting the fuel pump , it wass new 4 months ago but teh gauage read high and it made an awfull noise 1st drive after installing but then seemed okay so changed the carter pump out for a ultra power , nopwe you would think that would end it their , no change and no visible leaks

any ideas ? im about to sell it for parts along with my 2005 and keep the 96

Old 01-26-2023, 09:52 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Test the pressure and leak down at the fuel filter under the drivers side frame rail.

George

Old 01-26-2023, 10:03 PM
Beginning Member

Is it possible for the fuel pressure to be going to the fpr and straight into the return line and how would I test for that

yeah I’m gonna check the pump pressure again too

on a side note the carter pump
that came out drained all the gas out the bottom but the new one did not so I guess that confirms bad check valve ?

Old 01-26-2023, 11:53 PM
BF Veteran

Any fuel pump besides AC Delco or Delphi is asking for trouble. There are many stories here of immediate or early failures.

Lets see if you hold at the fuel filter and if not then sure, the regulator can be bad. Here is one way to see if the regulator is leaking back to the tank:

George

Old 02-03-2023, 09:56 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Any fuel pump besides AC Delco or Delphi is asking for trouble. There are many stories here of immediate or early failures.

Lets see if you hold at the fuel filter and if not then sure, the regulator can be bad. Here is one way to see if the regulator is leaking back to the tank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09_wQ9yQ85A

George

well George , i tested again at the pump and it gives 90 psi and stays above 55 al day , so indeed the fpr is returning fuel straight to the tank .

picked up an ac Delco injector unit this time and pressure holds in the entire system , now to let the rtv set up overnight and hopefully have my blazer back on the road ,

Old 02-03-2023, 10:56 PM
BF Veteran

Good luck and keep us posted.

George

Old 02-04-2023, 02:53 AM
Beginning Member

oh man , i tried starting it , it has 54 psi and holds , it started shook like timing was off and died . i rechecked the dizzy all good lined up with the 6 on compression .
this thing has a curse i swear or is that me cursing and swearing lol . im open to any ideas ? still rpm on tach doesnt budge when cranking either and yet i have tested and even put a new crank sensor in before the fuel pressure issue . can i check for injector pulse with an led test light ? dont have the noid type light and whats that procedure

Old 02-04-2023, 03:35 AM
BF Veteran

Do you have any codes?

Do you have tach after it starts?

pull the fuel pump fuse and check spark at a couple of plug wires and see if you have 1” of strong spark at a regular cadence during cranking.

What is the fuel pressure when it dies?

can you read cmp retard with a capable scanner?

George

Old 02-04-2023, 06:59 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Do you have any codes?

Do you have tach after it starts?

pull the fuel pump fuse and check spark at a couple of plug wires and see if you have 1” of strong spark at a regular cadence during cranking.

What is the fuel pressure when it dies?

can you read cmp retard with a capable scanner?

George

today i went out and fiddled around again and confirmed i have power and injector pulse to all injectors plugged it back in and bam it fired up , tach works but barely idled and missing badly , i then got code p0200 , i was able to watch on the tech 2 the spark timing was all over down to -3 at time.

checked cam retard at 5 deg.

misfire data shows #5 misfire , rechecked for injector pulse plug connector back in and cranks and wont start again , just cranks.

but have a look at the New not reman AC DELCO unit they sent me , no plugs to block off fuel line in/out some kind of oil thin maybe mineral oil ran out into packaging ..

and every part has a mark made by a felt marker ......

Have you or anyone ever received an injector unit like this ? and this is the unit currently installed after 2 failures with SMP brand , im at a loss for words , is this a 3rd bad unit but now from ac delco ? i was getting suspicious of a pcm issue but all 3 failed injector units failed for different reasons - what are your thoughts on teh p0200 code now , does the fact that i have injector pulse rule out the pcm ? and did i get the p0200 from checking the injector pulse ?

Last edited by joseywales; 02-04-2023 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: no 5v ref no start