2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No Heat

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 03:15 PM
PVT Pablo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No Heat

Hey everyone, so I've been trying to figure out my issue with not having heat for the past month (and also trying to delay taking my dash apart in freezing weather). I've been reading the other threads about the blend door actuator but I'm not sure that is my problem. Those refer to the fact that the fans are always blowing, which mine are not.

I have a 97 Blazer with the dial that's got the red/blue lines on it (I think this is manual). I have full control of fan speed, defrost, head and feet air. The only thing I don't have is control of of the heat, a.k.a., it always blows cold air, even when switched to hot. I checked the heater core lines from the engine compartment and both are indeed warm. So I figure that there is indeed hot fluid getting to the heater core, but alas no heat.

Thanks for any imput.

-Paul

Old 12-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Beginning Member
kc01blazer is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem in my 2001. My fans only blow cold air. So not sure what to do for that.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by kc01blazer
I have the same problem in my 2001. My fans only blow cold air. So not sure what to do for that.
It sucks huh? haha

Also, Have you checked the lines going to your heater core?

Old 12-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Beginning Member

I dont think its the heater core because there would be a fluid leak wouldn't there?

Old 12-05-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by kc01blazer
I dont think its the heater core because there would be a fluid leak wouldn't there?
no it wouldn't be a leak, but the lines could be plugged.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Beginning Member

i will have to look at that. thanks

Old 12-20-2009, 05:46 AM
1 Wicked V is on a distinguished road

WHOA, WHOA...!! Hold up gentelmen...I just bought a 98' S-10 Blazer (LS 4.3 Vortec) from a guy at work...cheap btw. So it HAD the same issues, blower working fine, NO HOT AIR...flushed and refilled cooling system, new thermostat no help....DID NOT WANT TO RIP OUT THE DASH to replace heater core so I rigged up my new heater hoses to flush the heater core(coming out of the firewall) directly using the garden hose...flushed from outlet to inlet first, then inlet thru to outlet...got particals both directions but perfect flow after doing this, hooked up my new hoses, fired it up and what do you know...air blowing hotter that fire now...now can someone give me some advice on what to do to stiffen up my ride?

Something to try...get the vehicle up to temp, grab your inlet hose to your heater core to see if it's hot, grab your outlet hose as well, BOTH should be roughly the same temp...if not you have a circulation problem
A) Could be that your thermostat is stuck open....can you see your coolant circulating when your rad cap is off?.... don't open hot....
B) No circulation on your inlet hose (3/4") Maybe water pump is ka-put...
Make sure your radiator cap is funtioning properly...hold pressure that is
good luck, hope you didn't take the dash out yet.....

Dex-cool sucks...especially if your level drops...leaves behind some nasties from what i hear...keep it full! Or run something different...

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-20-2009 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the EDIT feature if another member has yet to respond. Consecutive posting is against forum rules.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:12 PM
Starting Member
Gina Marie Heckel is on a distinguished road

hi i am experiencing this problem and i am far from home

Old 02-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Starting Member
Gina Marie Heckel is on a distinguished road

ok i am gonna try all your suggestions

Old 12-22-2019, 09:39 PM
WillyB is on a distinguished road

Been there, done it all and still no heat. So I finally went into the dash thru the glove box and pulled the actuator for the blend door, the gears were cracked and not operating properly. I guarantee that your issue is the same. Unfortunately, I didnt have time to go to the wrecking yard and refuse to pay $140+ for an actuator, so I cut into the housing with my multitool and wedged the blend door fully open to hot position. Temporary fix until I grab another, but needed my defrost blowing hot for rainy season, being from the northwest and all. Any questions, let me know.

Quick Reply: No Heat