2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

noise coming from front left side...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road

I believe it was there but VERY slight, almost unnoticable. If it was it wasn't enough to alarm me of a problem in any way! It most definitly got worse after the replacement but the only thing I could think of was that sledge hit that would've caused damage though. I almost wondered if I didnt tighten the lug nuts enough and the rim was rattling on the hub, but I used an impact wrench and torqued them in the correct star pattern.

When I jacked up the truck earlier and spun that wheel there was a ticking coming from the part of the axle that connects to the hub. I believe that's definitly where the ticks comin from under load. I jus don't know what that would be, the end of the cv or the hub.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Take off the wheel, the brake caliper & rotor, and then rotate the hub with your head right down there next to either the hub or the outer joint on the CV shaft. Where does the noise come from? You should be able to tell it's location if you can hear it just by spinning the tire now.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Starting Member

Ok will do... last an final question. Once I figure out if its the hub/bearings or the outer part of the cv joint, can either be "fixed" instead of having to by the entire assembly. Such as, can I replace the bearings in the hub? Or can I just buy the outer end of the cv axle (the bad part)

Old 08-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Both are only available as complete assemblies.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the help! Hopefully ill be able to fix/install these parts!!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Starting Member

Ok so Swart.... I did what you said. Its still nearly IMPOSSIBLE to figure out if its coming from the hub or outer cv. Its driving me nuts to the point where I just want to buy both! (Though that'll break me and in my wifes eyes, not even an option!) I can hear it with my ear right up on the cv, I can hear it with my ear on the OUTSIDE of the hub! Arrrrgggghhh!

The only thing that could've quite possibly shed some light on the situation is the fact that while I had the tire off and brake assembly still on... I could feel VERY little play while pushing on the studs (that hold the lug nuts) in a circular motion to spin the assembly. Its like you could take all 5 studs seperatly and SLIGHLY (and I mean barely) move them side to side inside of the brake caliper. Is a tad bit of play normal? I'm truly leaning towards the hub bearings just due to the fact of the poppin/clicking not getting ANY worse while turning. Honest to God I don't think anyone would even notice the quite ticking while its jacked up, unless of course I said LISTEN! The real noise is while driving, which also points to the bearing because under load is the only time the hub would have "real" pressure...

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm half tempted to just take it to a shop and see what they think it is. Problem with that... I don't trust half these bastards!

Btw - no play (that I can notice) with the tire on and the
"push on tire on 4 corners test, while jacked"

Guess I just have to keep driving this thing and pray to jesus that nothin terrible happens before I can replace these parts this weekend. I may cut the cv axle as you mentioned for a temp fix to see if that's it, hell I'm buyin another anyways... and if the click stopz then I know I don't need to waste money on this new hub assembly!
How would I cut the cv axel? Sawzaw? And where? Can I pull out the differential end and hack the end that goes in the hub so it stays in place?

I know this is a lot but I have SO MUCH on my mind! Thanks!

Swart just disgard this entire conversation as far as diagnosing the problem. Saturday I'm spending the day changing out the hub, as well as the cv axle. The other side was done under 500 miles ago so I'm just going to go ahead and do it! I'm also going to change out my lower ball joints and control arm bushings while im at it. Then I get it all done at once and know that everything is new and will (hopefully) last me a good amount of time. All of that being said, can you tell me which hub I need? Every auto part store asked if I needed the one with some type of ring/abs sensor or not. Which is the correct hub for my truck? Because these "auto experts" cannot tell me!!

Secondly, it would be much, much, much appreciated if you could post me a url on changing the hubs, cv's, and/or the control arm bushings. I will be MORE than grateful, I found the link to the cv replacement at one time but it seems it has disappeared! A little guidance will help, ill have my brother and father giving me a hand as well.... so I should be able to get this done in a day! Lol

Again, your help is unmatched and truly appreciated#

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-30-2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Let me start by informing you of the rules of the forum, specifically rule #4. Please do not bump a post after waiting a few hours so as to stay in compliance with the rules. You have tripped over this rule on multiple occasions and don't seem to notice the subtle edits I have been performing. Please try to always keep the rules in mind. Thanks.

If you haven't already found the Tech Article (DIY) section, take a look at the index link in my signature. Many things are already covered in detail in that section and what isn't covered in an actual tech article likely has been discussed somewhere on the forum. Effective use of the search feature will lead you to those discussions.

If you are really interested in working on your truck yourself, you should invest in a repair manual of some sort. Even the Chiltons or Haynes manuals that are available for $20 from your local autoparts store is better than nothing, but you can often find a factory service manual set on eBay for not much more ($70 for one on eBay now) or you can get a subscription to AllDataDIY.com which will give you access to TSB information as well. All of these procedures would be covered in a good reference source (manual or online).

Unless you have access to a press, you aren't going to be changing the control arm bushings yourself.

And as a last word of advice, please list your vehicle information either in your signature (accessible from your User CP --> Edit Signature) and check the box to always attach it to your posts or create a garage for your truck which will put your vehicle information under your user name for all of your posts. Nothing worse than having to guess or go hunting for what someone is driving!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:30 PM
stlunatics2oo3 is on a distinguished road

my brand new pcv valve makes a tick noise could this also be your problem your hearing that thinking its further down? just a suggestion

Old 09-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Starting Member

Just wanted to let you all know that I got the truck fixed, even changed the upper/lower balljoints, put in ball joint spacers and flipped the upper ball joints.

I had to put in a new CV axle and hub to finally get the tick to stop. Once installed everything went away (the ticking and what not, ect.) The balljoints were MUCH needed! It's amazing how much smoother my truck drives. Out of the old ones, maybe ONE didn't practicly fall apart in my hands, once off the truck.

Again, just thought I'd update yall on the situation. Everythings GREAT for moment! lol If you'd like to see my truck and what the flipped balljoint and spacer look like or do.... check out my treads and see some pics!

..... Swart, I'm human. But I'm trying to work on it! Thank you for your edits though.