Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Obd question with GM tech 1 (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/obd-question-gm-tech-1-a-78580/)

bizzs 04-13-2013 09:56 AM

Obd question with GM tech 1

Can anyone tell me what adapter number I would use to scan my 95 blazer using a vetronix GM tech 1. My tech 1 mass cartridge is programmed up to 96 and the blazer has an obd II connector. The computer is mounted on the outer wheel fender on top of the coolant bottle and the sticker on the fan shroud indicates that it is an obd 1. My tech 1 came with what appears to be an obd II tech 1 adapter that plugs into a 12-14 pin adapter, but it will not communicate with the computer. I also have a snap on solus that will communicate with the computer if I use the legacy software feature with an OBD II connector and a #15 key, but the software doesnt have all the function tests like the tech 1. I want to use the tech 1 because it has more command features than the solus.

Thanks
bizzs

Captain Hook 04-13-2013 10:16 AM

Your 95 has a transition system from OBDI to OBDII. Your system is not fully OBDII compliant. Not all scan tools will communicate with your OBD1.5 system. The TechI may not have the correct software, seems like they were only good through OBDI. What software level does your Solus have? What problems are you experiencing?

bizzs 04-13-2013 03:11 PM

Thanks for the response, my solus is updated to 2005 and my tech 1 is a mass storage 3.2 updated until 1996. My solus communicates fine, but the tech 1 should do the same since the scanner came from a GM engineer and the software is date from 83-96. Any other ideas for the tech 1?

Bizzs

Captain Hook 04-13-2013 03:20 PM

The Solus should work fine, try using key #9 or GM-1 adapter. No suggestions for the TechI, sorry.

Ramjam2112 08-03-2013 06:30 PM

adapters needed

8 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bizzs (Post 578989)
Can anyone tell me what adapter number I would use to scan my 95 blazer using a vetronix GM tech 1. My tech 1 mass cartridge is programmed up to 96 and the blazer has an obd II connector. The computer is mounted on the outer wheel fender on top of the coolant bottle and the sticker on the fan shroud indicates that it is an obd 1. My tech 1 came with what appears to be an obd II tech 1 adapter that plugs into a 12-14 pin adapter, but it will not communicate with the computer. I also have a snap on solus that will communicate with the computer if I use the legacy software feature with an OBD II connector and a #15 key, but the software doesnt have all the function tests like the tech 1. I want to use the tech 1 because it has more command features than the solus.

Thanks
bizzs

Are just doing an engine/transmission read? or do you want to do a ABS read as well.

Next question is do you have a tech1 or a tech1A. A particular adapter needed for the tech 1 is not compatible with the tech1A. Assuming you have a tech1 you will need the main cable, a OBD2 interface cable, VIM module.

If you want to do an ABS read and function check, you will need 2 more adapters.
More information can be found in the manual found here
http://www.boschdiagnostics.com/dsof..._1981-2004.pdf

bizzs 08-08-2013 01:19 PM

Ranjam,

Thanks for the reply. I think I was looking at your video forum on youtube, but I was a little confused on what adapters I may need. I have a tech 1 not 1a, and my 95 blazer has an intermitentABS problem. Can you tell me exactly what PN adapters and cable numbers I need to communicate with the blazer? These adapters are difficult to find.. I am pretty sure the computer is OBD 1.5 because my solus uses the old legacy software, but it cannot send the function commands like the tech 1.

Thanks
bizzs

Ramjam2112 08-09-2013 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by bizzs (Post 596172)
Ranjam,

Thanks for the reply. I think I was looking at your video forum on youtube, but I was a little confused on what adapters I may need. I have a tech 1 not 1a, and my 95 blazer has an intermitentABS problem. Can you tell me exactly what PN adapters and cable numbers I need to communicate with the blazer? These adapters are difficult to find.. I am pretty sure the computer is OBD 1.5 because my solus uses the old legacy software, but it cannot send the function commands like the tech 1.

Thanks
bizzs

You will need the RWAL/4WAL Adapter and the GM 16/12 Pin Non-OBD II Adapter

Both are commonly available on ebay at fairly decent prices.

Nice thing with the Tech1 is it reads ABS trouble codes and gives realtime information. Also gives you non latching trouble codes. (codes that go away when the ignition is turned off.)

Any further questions about what you need and how to do it can be found here.
http://www.boschdiagnostics.com/dsof..._1986-2004.pdf
Page 107 show the configuration of what you need and how to set it up.

Read the manual!!.

bizzs 08-09-2013 01:31 PM

Thanks Ramjam!!!

I checked my adapters and I think I have them all.. I tried these adapters and I get the no communication error. Can you provide the p/n numbers for the adapters? I read the manual and my 5th vin # digit is T
Thanks again,
bizzs

bizzs 08-09-2013 07:03 PM

Hi ramjam,

Can you list the cable and the two adapter numbers that I would use to read my blazer? All clues lead to obd 1.5.

I have the following: (2) cables GM Techline TA00011 and TA00011B, GM 16/12 PIN NON-OBD II DLC Adapter P/N 3000053 , and RWAL/4WAL Adapter. 3.2 masscartridge.

I cannot get this thing to communicate and I think the cause may be the wrong adapters.

Any input would be appreciated.
Bizzs

I

Ramjam2112 08-09-2013 11:02 PM

Pictures are worth a thousand words

10 Attachment(s)
If you have the OBD 1.5 you will have an OBD2 port under the dash on the driver's side. That is what I have anyway. I have the PCM which is located below the glove box.

Just make sure the little pigtail is plugged into the main ADL connector cable.