2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

oil pump???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Beginning Member
vernzr2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: oil pump???

The oil leak is coming from the bottom of the seal behind the crankshaft pulley. Went out and examined it thoroughly. Is that one of the seals that the synthetic oil could possibly repair. Thanks in advance. Vern

Old 03-18-2008, 02:15 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Synthetic oil repairs nothing. What you may be thinking about is that sometimes in higher mileage engines with seals that have hardened with small pieces of crud, using a synthetic may soften the seal and allow a temporary leak to develop until the seal swells and seals once more.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Beginning Member

Good news fellas, I decided to fill up with Mobil 1 full synthetic and about two thirds of a qt. of Lucas conditioner. The tick totally disappeared! I read a post by dax 44 12/26/06, same exact problem as I had. Same solution. Who knew. Have a ton of white smoke coming out of exhaust, any ideas? Been that way for quite a while. Squealing in the front too. Think it might be crankshaft pulley. Looks kind of wobbly. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help. Vern

Old 03-19-2008, 05:04 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Vern, is there anything else you think you might want to tell us about this situation? You keep adding on info that might make a difference in the diagnosis! Exactly how long has this white smoke been coming from your exhaust? That's not normal and is often indicative of coolant getting into the combustion chambers, but can (to a degree) also point to a lean burn condition. Have you checked your coolant level in both the overflow tank and in the radiator or haveyou been having to add coolant?
Where is the squeal coming from in the front? Try to pinpoint it for us.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Beginning Member

The white smoke has been coming from the exhaust for a couple years now, it only happens in late fall and through winter. Once the weather warms up the white smoke stops. As far as the squeal up front, I believe it is coming frome the bottom pulley in the center of the motor. You can hear it from the top of motor loud and clear, when you get under there is seems to be louder. Decieving because of all the possibilities. Bought a new belt, I believe the original one is still on it. Might just be the worn out belt. Coolant level- I add very minimal amount of water every week. Nothing in overflow. Going somewhere else? No hose or radiator leaks. That tells me it is going into combustion chambers, I don't know. I've never had to work on the inside of a motor before, all new to me. Vern.
rriddle3- Sorry about the add-ons, one vehicle, money tight going kinda nuts. Thanks for your help though.