2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

One headlight works, the other does not...help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:53 AM
WickedBerry is on a distinguished road
Default One headlight works, the other does not...help!

Hello all. I have a 1998 Blazer 4x4 with quite the possibly electrical problem. I had the right headlight go out on me...now what I noticed is that the DRL stood on on both sides and only the driver side headlight was on...okay I drove like that for a few days while I waited for new bulbs to come in the mail (I bought a set of eurodezign 8500k 9006 bulbs) and I replaced them...

Now they are both on except the DRL was somewhat dim'ish and both headlights were on except driver's was on and passenger's was dim....

I've been meaning to disable DRL altogether because its quite annoying so I pulled the fuse while doing this.

Now...when headlights are on, only the driver's side turns on nice and bright like it's supposed to, the passenger's side does not. I switch to high beam, and both regular 9006 lights turn on but DIM! The 9005 lights dont light up at all. Autozone told me it could be a ground issue?

Can anyone tell me where the ground of this wiring is? Also Ive looked through the forum and someone mentioned something about a headlight ground relay? But wouldn't that affect both headlights?

Ugh! Im lost!! Between this and my catalytic converter being just about gone my truck isn't on my good side right now!

Old 06-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The grounds should be right near the headlights on the back side of the radiator core support.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:43 PM
WickedBerry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The grounds should be right near the headlights on the back side of the radiator core support.
Thanks I'll keep this in mind...but I actually fixed it. See, here in Pennsylvania, it has been raining like there is no tomorrow since um...April?! Anyhow, today the sun finally came out, so I took advantage, popped my hood, and peeked around. I took the battery out, cleaned the terminals/bolts, found 2 grounds cleaned them both...put all that back in, nothing...

Anyhow...I look inside the fuse box again. Apparently the left and right headlamps each have their own 10A fuse! I pulled the left one, looks fine, put it back in...pulled the right one, crack right in the middle. Replaced it with one of the spares, now it all works like a charm!!

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that would do it. Most of the time I assume that checking the fuses is an unspoken 1st step.

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for the follow up!