2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

PITA brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yooper
How do I disconnect it from the brake line.
Unthread it.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:41 PM
BusaJoe is on a distinguished road

They recommend replacing hoses every 2 years. If you do 1 you should do all 5 or at least the rear 3.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:43 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

make sure you use a line wrench on the brake line so you dont strip it.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Starting Member
Yooper is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I got the hard line disconnected from the flex line, but the flex line is connected to a bracket and I cannot seem to get them apart. Any suggestions? Here is a pic of what I am looking at right now.

Now, can anybody explain this to me. Got my flex-line from Auto Zone. Turns out it was the wrong line. They gave me a center line not an outer line. Went back and they couldn't find the proper out line on their computer. I got my money back and drove over to NAPA. There they showed me a picture on their computer of the part to my Blazer (1998 LT 4 door 4WD). It didn't match mine at all. So after a little searching they found my part:

The only issue is it is listed under a 1999 4 door 2WD. I am definately sure my Blazer is a 1998 4Door 4WD, so why would the part I need be listed like that. Are these parts universal on 2nd Gen Blazers, or what is going on. I am really confused. Also, my flex line is still STUCK on my blazer. Any ideas?????

Last edited by Yooper; 10-30-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Fixing IMG code.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is a clip holding the flex line into that bracket. You will have to beat that clip out of there. The replacement line should come with a new clip along with the rest of the hardware to install it.

Napa UP381065 is the proper PN for a 4dr 4wd application.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Starting Member

Thank you so much for the info. I now currently have everything removed that I need removed and am waiting for the correct part to come into NAPA. Hopefully all this I have gone through will solve my brake issues. Maybe that is where all these road gremlins have been living and my issues will be over.

By the way, Swartlkk!! Even if it is a couple days late.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Starting Member

Well, I FINALLY got the part I needed for my brakes. I put on the new outer flex hose, and the new caliper. After thoroughly bleeding the brakes, I went for a ride, and when I came home the passenger right side was still HOT. I have given up. It wasn't the caliper, it wasn't the outer flex hose, WHAT CAN IT BE?????? Any ideas are welcome. After all this time and money I have put into this, I have reached the end of my rope. The Blazer is going to Midas tomorrow.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Be sure to let us know the outcome! Please!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Do the pads slide properly in the caliper bracket? If not, then that may be the cause... Does that wheel turn harder than the other side when you have the back end up in the air?

And how are you measuring "hot". If it is with your hand, you really have no idea how "hot" hot is. The brakes do get hot.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Do the pads slide properly in the caliper bracket? If not, then that may be the cause... Does that wheel turn harder than the other side when you have the back end up in the air?

And how are you measuring "hot". If it is with your hand, you really have no idea how "hot" hot is. The brakes do get hot.
The pads DO slide like they should and the wheel turns just fine. As far as how I know how hot things are getting, the one side is significantly hotter than the other, and after about 8-10 miles things heat up to the point where my rim is hot to the touch. I know that brakes are suppose to get hot, but not one side much more than the other and not to this degree. I will make sure to let everybody know what Midas tells me.

Quick Reply: PITA brakes