2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Please recommend best service manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:57 PM
jsmurphyphone is on a distinguished road
Default Please recommend best service manual

I recently purchased a 1998 Blazer 4x4. I got a good deal since it has several minor problems no one seems to be able to fix. Well I'm either going to fix it or go broke/crazy trying. Since this site seems like the place with the best information, can anyone tell me the best repair manuals out there for all around repair info.

I have no problems buying more than one or two or five manuals but I want to avoid buying useless manuals. Also I would like to know where would be the best place to find the manuals.

Don't hesitate to give your opinions on each of the manuals. I only have experience using haynes manuals but these seem to be simplified without too much detail. I know there is a chilton's manual (although I know little about it) and factory service manuals (which I know even less about).

Thanks,
Jeff

My next wheelchair

Old 01-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is a topic that has been covered in pretty good detail in quite a few other threads (as a search would turn up).

IMO, Chilton & Haynes are both equally bad. You can't beat the thoroughness of the FSM, but for the price, it should be thorough. If the price of an FSM set turns you off, AllDataDIY.com may be more agreeable. I typically use both an FSM and AllDataDIY.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:25 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I like Alldata. It's actually pretty good. However, it is all online.

I have heard Haynes is better as toilet paper, though.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

FSM for the win. I don't like to get my laptop greasy.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:07 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I have a Chilton but I don't think there is much difference and if I remember correctly I think one of the companies bought out the other.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:14 PM
jsmurphyphone is on a distinguished road
Default Factory Service Manual

Hi all,
I asked a question a few days ago about a recommendation for the best service manual to buy. Well, I got several good suggestions and I decided to buy the AllData program. It has worked well so far so I want to pass along my thanks to "cbr995" "swartlkk" "ajbert" "84blazers10" and everyone who supports this forum allowing novice tinkerers like me to save some money and have some fun.

Now I have decided to purchase a set of Factory manuals as well. This decision brings up a few more questions.
1) How many manuals are included in a full factory set?
2) Are complete wiring diagrams included?
3) Where can I find these manuals.

My local dealer is clueless. He keeps trying to sell me an owners manual and can't understand why a non-mechanic would want a factory manual. I have found a 3 volume factory set on ebay but I have no idea if this is a full set.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by jsmurphyphone; 01-20-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Missing info
Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I know that for '00 and '99 it is a three volume set, so I would venture a guess the '98 would be the same. And, yes, it will show all wiring diagrams. Ebay is a good spot, there is a company out there you can get them from also...but my old laptop crashed, taking the link and many others with it.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

Google Helm factory service manuals--that'll get er done...Jerry

Old 01-20-2011, 07:49 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cbr995
I have heard Haynes is better as toilet paper, though.
not by much Matt.

Helm Incorporated sells some pretty good FSM.

(^ that's a direct link to what you're after)

Old 01-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Beginning Member
wintfam@olemac.net is on a distinguished road
Default service manuels

Are there any that are free?

Quick Reply: Please recommend best service manual