2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Possible Diesel Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Beginning Member
dieseltwitch is on a distinguished road
Default Possible Diesel Swap

Hello All,
My name is Brian, I just bought a 99' ZR2 from my sister to help her out and to have a little fun. Its a spare truck so Im going to make some major changes. but before I do i need to know a little bit more about it. I was wondering if some one could help answer some of my questions:
Engine (Type and Value): - Looking to swap out for a 4 cyl diesel
Transmission: Need to know if it can handle the tq
Transfercase: same as above
Axles Type: also same as above. all though i may just swap the front and rear anyways. and put 44's or even toyota 8.5"...... I know what people are going say but I've been involved in a number of multi brand swaps and it can be done.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:41 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Well, what are you going to do with the old parts?
Nice buy though...

Old 09-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Beginning Member

I was going to sell off most of them. thats why i was asking about the value of the motor.

Parts I plan to sell:
-Motor and all attached parts (alt, psp, ac pump.......)
-Entier front suspension and all steering parts minus the steering box.
-Posible the rear axle also. and maybe even the tcase and transmission (although the trans needs about $1,400 in work.... dont know what for yet but that what my sister had quoted.
Im sure there are some other parts that I will sell off.
My goal is to create a capable off road truck that get good MPG on the road and can craw off road and also does well in the snow

You looking for some of those parts?
Please note that i wont be starting this build till next summer. I need the truck for the winter.... my little jetta is good for about 1/8" of snow lol

Old 09-05-2009, 09:27 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved this thread to the '2nd Gen Tech' section since the 'New Member' section is only for introducing yourself and your truck. Also, I retitled the thread to better reflect the question you have. This will help to attract members who might have some answers for you.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Beginning Member

sounds good

Old 02-08-2013, 04:55 AM
fidof650 is on a distinguished road

So, how'd ya make out Brian?
Or anyone else...
I'm interested in doing a diesel swap in my '96 LS and am curious about possible donor motors, transmission etc. as well.

I'm loosin rusty anti-freeze from around the intake so, I'm looking at replacing the motor anyway. (Heck you can find 4.3s for under $400 all day long!)

I got the thing for $400 because it "didn't run" and after a new distributor cap and rotor I've put on 3000 miles! I say money well spent!
Its got 232,000 on it so I don't mind experimenting with it.

Looking forward to suggestions.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Wow... Talk about resurecting a zombie thread. I seriously doubt the OP will respond. Doesn't look like he's posted in years.

I've seen more people sucessfully pursuing a diesel swap over on the S10 forums. Check out this thread: A buddies '96 - S-10 Forum He put a Cummins 4BT in his S10, and there's quite a bit of discussion on how to do it. Also just try Googleing "S10 4BT" or "S10 diesel" and you'll get lots of results.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by fidof650
So, how'd ya make out Brian?
Or anyone else...
I'm interested in doing a diesel swap in my '96 LS and am curious about possible donor motors, transmission etc. as well.

I'm loosin rusty anti-freeze from around the intake so, I'm looking at replacing the motor anyway. (Heck you can find 4.3s for under $400 all day long!)

I got the thing for $400 because it "didn't run" and after a new distributor cap and rotor I've put on 3000 miles! I say money well spent!
Its got 232,000 on it so I don't mind experimenting with it.

Looking forward to suggestions.
Well with all the best of intentions I went looking for a moitor, found a guy who said he would sell me a 4bt for $1,800. When I went to actually get it, it was smokeware. I went looking some more and found out after talking to some more diesel pros that the Cummins motor is not always the best choice. Support for parts is a pain in the *** unless your buying millions from Cummins. More than one guy recommended a John deer 4 cylinder as a better choice for both Efficiency, Power, Tq, Quality and service from the MFG. However, I haven't been able to find a good RUNNING motor of either brand for less than $3,000. and for warrantied motors they are around $6,000.

For the time being I'm working on just rebuilding the 4.3L gasser. I haven't given up on the dream of a DC (Diesel Conversion) but I've had to smack my dream with reality. Some day I want to make my own fuel (BioDiesel from algae ) to utilize it I would need diesel in every car and truck. Like I said dreams

Good luck with yours!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:37 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Cummins aren't hard to get parts for at all. Pick up mine at any of the local parts stores. Gotta remember 4bts were used in bread and delivery trucks all over. Its not like a 3b that's pretty much (around here) used on farm pumps. Even then I've never ha problems getting parts for those. The 6bt was used in tons of dodge trucks.

I'm not a "diesel pro" but I was raised in a mechanic shop with a father that's been a trained diesel mechanic since 1974. I tend to stick with gas burners and send the oil burners to his side of the shop.

Finding a 4bt for a good price that isn't wore out has been my hold up also. A 4bt weight is the issue, its not like a gen 1 sbc swap that can be running in a weekend. The suspension is gonna have to be built for it. The frame is gonna have to be reinforced for it. A 4bt weighs almost twice as much as a big block chevy.

For axles that 4bt is gonna chew up a set of toy axles. I wouldn't go any smaller than dana 44s and most likely aim for 60s. Toyota builds axle housings out of tin cans using toothpicks for shafts. Dads 22re toy pickup doesn't even have toy axles anymore after all the problems he had with just 31s. The dana 30/35 he's got now isn't much better but they have held up to the 33s for 6 years now.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 PM
fidof650 is on a distinguished road

And the OP comes through... Way to go Brian!!!

Thanks for responding guys. It looks like the DC is going to be more involved than I anticipated. I knew that I'd have to compensate for additional torque and weight but I had underestimated just how much compensation would be involved. I still plan to do a DC but not until I've done much more research.

I've been finding 4.3s dirt cheep so I think I'll pick up a spare and replace this one after it gives up the ghost (she's still running great, just bleeding green/brown from time to time). Hey, she never missed a beat during winter storm Nemo and I was out in the thick of it taking care of rental properties for a buddy.

$400 = Best winter-beater ever!

Quick Reply: Possible Diesel Swap