2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Pre-rain/Rain = Truck runs amazing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Raybz
This absorption of heat prevents the temperature of combustion from rushing to a sharp peak (as it does in a standard engine) and then dropping rapidly off. Instead, the car's heat increases more slowly, reaches a lower peak, and descends much more gradually. (In addition, the longer overall combustion duration creates more pressure than does a standard engine's cycle.)
This is EXACTLY why I think my truck runs so much better with humid conditions coming threw the intake! It's either been raining or SOOO humid outside between showers that my truck is feeling the effects lately. In a positive way! it runs almost HALF as cool as it does on normal days. Usually a little over 210. (according to the gauge in my cluster) The past few days... barely breaking 100!! I haven't had a stall, sputter, hesitation, high idle, low idle... it's like a brand new truck. Though I may not essentially be getting more HP, I can guarantee I'm getting WAY better gas mialage and my truck is running much more "in sync" (and not the band!) Do you have any more info on this setup you had on your Duster? I'd love to know about how much psi you had runnin'(or however they measure H20 MIST), what kind of motor pumping the H20 and at what rate (GPM/GPH) and from WHERE (separate tank?).... etc.

You can see two links I've posted up top, on the last post.... do you think that type of motor and nozzle could work? I would really like to figure this out, I don't want a STRAIGHT shot of water in my intake filter! I just want something pumping out a mist into the intake filter, to create a humid condition in the intake housing and throttle body(due to water and engine heat). Pretty much MOCK it raining outside.

So sir, (Raybz)... please inform me how many GPM/GPH you were pumping out and from what size tank. Because a tank of water = tank of gas, sounds like a damn good plan!

DUDE! Check this out... this Chinese dude is SELLING the IDEA! http://www.water-as-gasoline.com/

Last edited by shotnva777; 09-23-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

What about purchasing a system designed for it? There's plenty of universal kits out there (they're kinda pricey though). If you wanted to build your own you could always get all the specs you can off of manufacturer websites and build your kit to match those specs as well.

Here's a kit i found on ebay for non forced induction applications....
Snow Performance Stage 1 Water Methanol N/A Universal | eBay

Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Starting Member

I don't want the methanol though, but thanks.for the link and idea. Maybe I CAN atleast get the specs because I'd like to build this myself. All I'm trying to do is "mock" humidity/rain

Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

what are the long term effects on engine?
just wondering...

Old 09-24-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by shotnva777
I don't want the methanol though, but thanks.for the link and idea. Maybe I CAN atleast get the specs because I'd like to build this myself. All I'm trying to do is "mock" humidity/rain
Just a thought here. But wether you build or buy you could run water or methanol or a mixture of both. Most people use methanol in winter because water freezes obviously. But i believe you could run just straight water during the spring/summer/fall months

Old 09-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Mike98Blazer
Just a thought here. But wether you build or buy you could run water or methanol or a mixture of both. Most people use methanol in winter because water freezes obviously. But i believe you could run just straight water during the spring/summer/fall months
Yea, well I would probably have the motor hooked to a switch anyways just so I could use the injection during times when I need to keep the engine cool. (towing, 4 wheeling, 105 degree days, etc, etc.) What exactly is methanol? Is this something you can just buy at your local hardware store or something? And I was under the impression it was under pressure, almost like nitrous. So your potentially saying I could MIX the water and ethanol into a container to be pumped out of and or just run pure methanol during the winter months??

Originally Posted by Warthogdriver
What are the long term effects?
From what I read, is it actually prolongs engine life. Your truck runs cooler, the water adds extra combustion/pressure in a safe way and it also cleans buildup deposits. Atleast that's what I get out of it! I've yet to read a neg effect, but than again - this is if it's all done correctly. If you got a pressure washer spraying 900PSI worth of water into your throttle body (exaggeration) than obviously the long term effects are going to be bad! Hell, the immediate effects would be!

Old 09-24-2011, 04:03 PM

methanol is wood alcohol. dry gas is pure methanol. Windshield washer fluid is a mixture of methanol and water...it's a pretty common substance.

Methanol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Starting Member

so your saying it's possible to use windshield washer fluid to inject into my intake at a low psi mist?

Old 09-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Starting Member

Okie doke, so I pretty much found a step by step DIY Guide on this and plan to do it sometime over the winter. This link shows you every part needed and how to set it up! I believe I'm going to install my tank in the rear somewhere (POSSIBLY even use the rear washer fluid tank), just because I want room under my hood and use my front washers quite often. They usually do this on boosted cars to be able to run higher boost without causing damage, I'm doing it so my truck runs cooler and constantly cleans buildup throughout the motor. (and yes, people DO DO IT on non forced induction vehicles) Thank you humid weather and lots of rain (over the past week and a 1/2) for showing me something that can extend the life of my truck, give me better gas mileage and whatever else this EASY setup produces. I KNEW there was something to this when I posted it! If anyone else is interested, here is the linkage.... Do It Yourself Water Alcohol Methanol Injection

Old 09-25-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by shotnva777
so your saying it's possible to use windshield washer fluid to inject into my intake at a low psi mist?
yes, yes it is as odd as it sounds.

Quick Reply: Pre-rain/Rain = Truck runs amazing!