Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Pre-rain/Rain = Truck runs amazing! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/pre-rain-rain-%3D-truck-runs-amazing-63376/)

shotnva777 09-26-2011 09:11 AM

wow... I'm in the process of building/fabricating some things..... I will DEFENITLY do a "HOW TO:" or a "DIY" while in the process. Pretty much I'm going to make it, make sure it all works and then dismantle it all and do a how to as I'm putting it back together! It'll be fun... I LOVE DIY's!!!

pettyfog 09-26-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by shotnva777 (Post 462280)
.... it runs almost HALF as cool as it does on normal days. Usually a little over 210. (according to the gauge in my cluster) The past few days... barely breaking 100!!..

I hate to break it to ya.. but that does not compute. You have some cooling problems there. If your gauge reads down at 100, your ECM is never getting to closed loop.

OTHER Reasons {beside the well known phenomenon} why performance MIGHT be better on cool humid/rainy days - Dirty MAF sensor. It's a long explanation but think air vortex condensation and 'swamp cooler' to get the idea. IOW, if there's dampness on the sense element, it will read as 'more airflow' and you'll get more gas.

Key element is does your gas mileage improve or go down when this happens.

shotnva777 09-27-2011 04:50 AM

Improve

step66 09-27-2011 04:44 PM

Hey! Raybz is absolutely correct in his situation-I also recall the water vaporizers availiable in the 70's! Not only did they help these anemic vehicles strangled by stone age emission controls run better,but they also helped eliminate pre-ignition knock as well by cooling intake temps in a time when engines were just getting weaned of lean mixtures and lower octane fuel.I suppose you could add any type of gizmo to your unit as you deem necessary,but will you really be gaining anything in the long run? I think not. Why do you think all atmospheric conditions are taken into account when any vehicle is tested? Just a thought,but I sure remember how my 66 Chevy pickup with a 400+ hp motor ran on those -20* days in VT & NH when it was too cold to have the salt running(I store it in the winter) Anyway ANY engine runs best at around 35*-40* with humidity at around 30% These are my findings only.Let me know!

chris015 09-27-2011 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by pettyfog (Post 462697)
I hate to break it to ya.. but that does not compute. You have some cooling problems there. If your gauge reads down at 100, your ECM is never getting to closed loop.

OTHER Reasons {beside the well known phenomenon} why performance MIGHT be better on cool humid/rainy days - Dirty MAF sensor. It's a long explanation but think air vortex condensation and 'swamp cooler' to get the idea. IOW, if there's dampness on the sense element, it will read as 'more airflow' and you'll get more gas.

Key element is does your gas mileage improve or go down when this happens.

Yea like pettyfog says. If you are only running 100,then your stat is sticking open and not giving your coolant time to warm up,and then the computer is staying in open loop,thus burning more fuel since its still thinking "ok so im cold,i need to dump more fuel to help warm up". Maybe thats where u are feeling that "extra power".cooler conditions,with more fuel. Its not too good for the engine either. It needs to warm up to at least 180ish.

I do have to agree though,ive always felt more umph! when i start any of my cars up in the morning etc. but I know that i cant be hard on them for the fun until they warm up.

shotnva777 09-27-2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by pettyfog (Post 462697)
OTHER Reasons {beside the well known phenomenon} why performance MIGHT be better on cool humid/rainy days - Dirty MAF sensor.\

Brand new MAF sensor.... just cleaned ICV, throttle body AND intake also. I feel as if I get better gas mileage though, that's the odd thing :icon_shrug:

Ok so here's my question. if I were to install a system that created humidity and cooler engine tempatures therefor "throwing off" the ECM into "must have more fuel" *ROBOT VOICE* mode.... then isn't there a way to level this out? A customed PCM tune possibly, with them knowing what kind of set up I'm running? I would say I could lean it out, but the cold air intake should do that. What about a better ignition system?

I'm reading alot about how guys with forced induction turn to this, in order to run more boost.... is it because it's giving it more fuel? Therefor letting them up the boost?