2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Push Button 4x4 problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 AM
trapper_canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Push Button 4x4 problem

Hi guys...having some trouble with my 4x4.

I did a search and read a bunch of threads for some common problems (i.e., vacuum line, fuse, etc) and will start to look at them but am wondering if anyone knows what is "best" for me to investigate.

I have a 2005 with only 35,000 miles. 4x4 was working fine last winter but I just tried it now for the first time in months and it is not working.

When I push the 4x4 Hi the light flashes...and stays flashing. I can tell when I turn the 4x4 is not on.

I tried to push the Autotrak button (while moving) and this flashes for a bit then goes solid (as it should) but when I brake it goes back to flashing.

I can not hear any clicks when I push it...but truth be told I can't remember if I heard any clicks before when it did work.

Thoughts??

Last edited by trapper_canada; 10-08-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:01 AM
vrryder is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem, and i changed the tc motor. Mine engages now but only when it wants to.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by vrryder
I had the same problem, and i changed the tc motor. Mine engages now but only when it wants to.
"Only when it wants too" lol

Gotta love these trucks

Old 09-29-2009, 05:36 PM
bulwaagh is on a distinguished road

I've done the "Disconnect the battery for 10 minute" trick to coax mine into working again. I'm going to investigate the tccm connections when I get around to it.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:21 AM
01blazerARS is on a distinguished road

Im new to the forums, just bought a blazer about a month ago and I love it to death, I tried the 4 hi and 4 lo it it worked fine, it clicked over and everything, all up until a week ago, I cant get it to click into 4 hi, but it clicks into 4 lo...well only sometimes it does.

I was talking to a buddy of mine and he has an 03 s10, hes not a mechanic or anything but he mentioned it could be a solenoid?

New to everything, I was going to try and fix this problem myself if anyone could help I would appreciate it!

- Alex

Old 09-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Beginning Member
WorstCases is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same issue.

At the dealership they changed out the control unit (located on the passernger side). Since the it works fine, but I'm a several hundreds short (don't remeber exactly how much it was - but if I'm right about $600).

G. WorstCases

Old 10-04-2009, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by WorstCases
I had the same issue.

At the dealership they changed out the control unit (located on the passernger side). Since the it works fine, but I'm a several hundreds short (don't remeber exactly how much it was - but if I'm right about $600).

G. WorstCases
Sure hoping that's not the case...

I tried the battery disconnect...no change.

I do hear a "click" from what I believe is the control module (under passenger door jam).

I took a look at it as I had read a previous case where wiring there was corroded...but it looks fine to me.

Guess I will have to bring it into the dealer... can't imagine why it would go when the truck is barely 4 years old with less than 30,000 miles...

Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM

Had the Jimmy out ona bumpy gravel road last night...as I was scooting down the road at about 40-45mph I had the urge to push the 4x4 button...it worked! I tried the autotrak and 4x4 low ... they all seemed to work fine.

What could cause it to stop working and then start working? A short? I'll keep an eye on it and see how she does I guess....

It is also possible that it was working the whole time...I was just fixated on the flashing and looking for "clicks". I seem to remember that as soon as I push the 4x4 it would flash for a couple seconds then go solid. But when parked it seems to just keep flashing until I move...cause once I am going it is not flashing anymore...and the 4x4 is definitely engaged (you can tell when turning on dry pavement!)

Last edited by trapper_canada; 10-08-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:36 AM
01blazerARS is on a distinguished road

Yeah when I bought mine a month ago, both hi and lo worked.

Then when I made the last posting the 4 lo worked but not the 4 hi.
So I guess if it clicks its probably something electrical maybe, or a corroded wire. (that trapper_canada said)

So i guess the question is, where would I find this cable, besides under the passanger door jam, does anyone know what it should look like so I can compare?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 AM
MrsMoly is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 lighst flashing..not engaging

My 2005 has been having the same problem for a couple of months now. Push button flashes for five minutes or so and kicks back to 2WD. Then one day it will work again for a day or so. Took it to the dealership they said diagnostically it checked out fine. Put it on the hoist and said it engages. Drove it home and it flashes again. Have you had any luck since your post? I know for a fact it is not engaging....did a bunch of donuts in the parking lot at work and no chance it was in!

Quick Reply: Push Button 4x4 problem