2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Radio and button lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:25 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Radio and button lights

You'll have to take your switch panel off to get to them...

And those lights in your A/C buttons are soldered directly to the circuit board... I think, I don't have those buttons, so I can only assume they're the same as my rear defrost button.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:27 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: drperry

You'll have to take your switch panel off to get to them...

And those lights in your A/C buttons are soldered directly to the circuit board... I think, I don't have those buttons, so I can only assume they're the same as my rear defrost button.
Yes the light that lights up the AC button at night (white) is a little incandesenct bulb that is soldered to the circuit board. Otherwise the only LED's that are in the stock dash lighting system are the orange ones that come on when the A/C, rear defroster, or selectable 4x4 buttons are pushed. All bulbs that are not the 37 or 192 bulbs are soldered to the circuit boards.

The LED that notes when the "A/C is on" is working - it's the lamp that illuminates/glows behind the switch that's not illuminating nuttin. How do you get into it to change it out?

I'm leaving the radio alone - for now... I can feel in the dark for the buttons.
To do this, you need to remove the dash surround. You must take the top 2 screws out of the lower drivers side knee plate (right below the steering wheel), then you need to take off 2 screws that are attached to the dash surround loacted behind the top lip of the knee plate on the drivers side. Then you need to take the screw off that is located in the hooded area of the guage clusters in the top middle area (right above the hazards switch). Once this is done, you can remove the dash surround by poping/prying off the cover starting over by the radio. Pull slowly as you will need to disconnect the wires going to the 4x4 switch, headlight control panel, and the wiper controls. Once you get those undone you should be able to pull it out.

HINT: I would set the parking brake, chock the wheels, parking on flat. Then tilt the wheel all the way down and put it in gear 1 to move the dash surround around the gearshifter and steering wheel.

Once this is done just remove the two screws and push in on the springy clips that hold the HVAC controls (Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning) in place. Then remove the wiring and take the back panel off by removing all screws except the ones holding the ***** in place. Also you will need to pull on the ***** from the front to remove them. Then you should have access to the circuit board and light and then you can see if you really want to fix if from there.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:58 AM
filtalr is an unknown quantity at this point

Darn good step-by-step writeup there Lenny - thank you VERY much -- perhaps it could go in the "how-to" section
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-16-2007, 12:20 PM
PackRatTDI is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the HVAC lights in my Jetta go out once. A hard smack to the panel fixed that.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:56 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Darn good step-by-step writeup there Lenny - thank you VERY much -- perhaps it could go in the "how-to" section
Yeah I am going to copy that step by step write-up for the write up I will be doing eventually on how to change out all the dash lights. Maybe I could make that a seperate one once I make it nicer with some pics and then reference that in the other writeup.

Thanks for the compliments though.