2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Random P0172 And misfire below 700 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Welp, I replaced the sensor and it runs GREAT. It still has the occasional misfire at idle. But, it's to the point where I cannot tell it is happening in the cab. I can only hear it at the rear of the truck, and I don't think I would even notice it if I had a normal muffler. It still smells a little rich. I'm going to check the fuel pressure soon. and check out the intake manifold for signs of leaks. I think I might still have an issue. But one so minute it's ridiculous.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the look of those plugs, it likely won't last.. I wouldn't stop checking things.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by bigdaddykane93
those plugs indicate that more than likely your FPR leaking inside the intake. check it the cheap way like i did. since you have a 95 CPI engine, take off the intake manifold tuning valve by removing the 2 screws that hold it on top of the intake and pull it out of your way, and then grab a good flashlight and look inside the intake for small puddles at the bottom of the intake. also look at the FPR to see if it looks clean or other signs of leaking. if you find any of these decribed, well then your FPR is leaking cause misfires!!!
Where is this tuning valve that you speak of?

Nevermind...found it lol.

Ok guys...what do these mean to you? I did the best I could with the pictures.

More pictures here:
http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/s...inator/Intake/

That first picture of...whatever that is...looks wet. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-17-2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

From the looks of it, it means you will be pulling off the upper intake plenum to see how bad it actually is.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Oh yay! lol...what exactly is all that down there?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Check out the CPI FPR thread in the often forgotten Tech Article (DIY) section!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:11 PM

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:07 AM

Welp...I took off the plenum. You think I had a leak? Haha.

I turned the ignition on while I had the plenum off, and watched the fuel pressure regulator leak like a sieve from the adjustment screw. I replaced it, cleaned everything up, and put it back together. I tested to fuel pressure while it was running...it was at 54 PSI during idle, and would jump to about 60 if I gassed it. Runs and idles smoother than silk. I have loads of extra power. I can't wait to see what gas mileage I get. (I was averaging about 15 MPG) Problem solved. Thanks to everyone for your input and help. =)

Old 03-06-2010, 12:59 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BlaziNator
Welp...I took off the plenum. You think I had a leak? Haha.

I turned the ignition on while I had the plenum off, and watched the fuel pressure regulator leak like a sieve from the adjustment screw. I replaced it, cleaned everything up, and put it back together. I tested to fuel pressure while it was running...it was at 54 PSI during idle, and would jump to about 60 if I gassed it. Runs and idles smoother than silk. I have loads of extra power. I can't wait to see what gas mileage I get. (I was averaging about 15 MPG) Problem solved. Thanks to everyone for your input and help. =)
im glad you fixed your truck. so did you replace just the fuel pressure regulator? or the entire injector with the regulator? also do you have any other pictures of when you did this job? what other detail work did you do while you did this? thanks

Old 03-08-2010, 02:00 AM

I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, plenum gasket, and while i had easy access to it, I replaced the EGR valve gasket. I cleaned the plenum (very carefully) with carburetor cleaner and 1,586,359 shop towels.

Disclaimer: any numerical figures may be exaggerated slightly.

Quick Reply: Random P0172 And misfire below 700 rpm