2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rear leaf springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Beginning Member
doodad69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rear leaf springs?

I've been chasing a handling problem ( a little too much sway on turns and bumps ) and I noticed the top main leaf of my rear springs has a bit of a reverse curve to it. Especially near the ends near the bushings where it isn't supported by the other leafs in the pack. The vehicle doesn't seem to sit too low, but my driveway slopes a bit. I'd have to get it in the garage to measure it.

My shocks are good ( monroe reflex all the way around ) and I just today swapped the front end links and sway bar bushings with Polyurethane. I also swapped the rear end links, which is when I noticed the rear leafs.

I was under the car without the spare and got a really good look at them.

Anybody know what their springs look like or what they are supposed to look like? I looked around before I posted, some people have mentioned sag, but no visual criteria. I can snap a photo in the AM, I am tired of crawling under it tonight.

Thanks

BTW, it's interesting to see FORD banner ads on a Blazer site. Another Chevy truck forum I read had Dodge banners the other day. Curious.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:53 AM
blazin8556 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: rear leaf springs?

it is my understanding that the new bushings are supposed to help the handling of the blazers, thought about doing it to mine. my truck seems to have a slight sag in the back, but i think it is cause there are about 150 lbs of tools in the back of mine.As far as banners go, it has shown me AT&t, K&n, and toyota. and the new Ford F150 ad. maybe it is a sign. lol

Old 12-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Beginning Member
doodad69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: rear leaf springs?

I think the handling is a little worse with the four doors because there is a little more weight in the rear. Sure the springs and sway bars are different, but almost every one I've driven or ridden in is a little weird in the handling dept.

I'm looking forward to driving it today, I hope it all helped. It is especially squirelly and nerve racking when the roads are slippery.

Thanks