2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rearend shake

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Starting Member
_HeC_ is on a distinguished road
Default rearend shake

99 4x4 jimmy is the vehicle...

when driving i feel my back passenger wheel shake, a guy from my work was behind me and said he could see it shake :S when reversing it into the garage i could hear a noise from that corner as well.... now this is my first time working on a RWD/4x4 so what am i looking at here? axle bearing?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Esty is on a distinguished road

First check your lugs make sure there tight
check for a bubble in the tire or if the tire is out of round
if that is all good then pull the wheel drun/rotor and see what the problem is yes it could be axle bearing but you need to check it over first

Old 01-11-2012, 09:58 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Maybe just loose lug nuts. I'd check those 1st of all but it could be the outer or inner bearing (hope it's the outer) or a warped rotor.
if when you're backing up nice n slow you can hear it.... it could be a bearing if it's a constant grinding/warble sound. If it's rotational & predictable then I'd say something with the brakes. But niether always hold true.

Damn cell phone lol. Esty beat me to the check list lol
A sidewall bubble shouldn't make a noise, just a wobble. But a wobble over time will cause a bearing to fail faster.

Last edited by Rottidog; 01-11-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:35 AM
Starting Member

I should mention all 4 rims are freshly balanced with no bubbles or loose lugs. Am I gonna have to remove the diff cover to check the axle bearing?

I should mention my truck has 05 rearend with the G80 locker if that matters

*edit* also rear calipers/rotors/pads are new and have maybe 2 tanks of gas on them

Last edited by _HeC_; 01-12-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I get the same thing since i put on the 33s i figured its wheel hop from the lift and the large wheel.
Mine only does it on take off though. Makes me wonder though reading all this...

Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Starting Member
Gale is an unknown quantity at this point

After you have pulled the rear plate and had a look inside the differential it could he you pinpoint the source? I would consider an oil change and make sure it met specs for a locker after your physical inspection. If you can clear the rear wheels and spin it up that could help you hear what is going on.

We have excessive spider gear wear and can get a pop but it is quite after underway.

If you can swap the rear wheels or spin it up without wheels installed could be helpful.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Starting Member

ill try swapping wheels but i have a feeling thats not it, how do i tell if the bearing is bad and special tool to remove/install?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Starting Member

ugh so i believe both axle bearings are shot, i really dont think i have enough space in my garage to pull both shafts out at the same time(narrow garage) so im gonna put the brakes back on and hopefully do it on my buddies hoist in the next day or 2. hopefully im able to rent a axle bearing puller and a slide hammer as i really dont want to spend $150-200 on tools

when i spin the wheels i hear a growling noise from the bearing area so im sure its them, hopefully the half shafts are fine still

found these series of vids on youtube that show the process
mikeandthejeepgirls's Channel - YouTube

Last edited by _HeC_; 01-12-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:12 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

There are 'offset' bearings to repair cases where the axle has been scored. I see no reason they wouldnt work if it hadnt.

There's a youtube video where some yokel uses a long pipe all the way through the housing to knock out the opposite side bearings. That works, I've done it.. long ago. I would have had the right tools but I thought the bearing would be pressed on axle and I got surprised.

Clean 2x4 scraps and heavy hammer to 'press in' new ones. You want to get fresh gearlube and also a new diff cover, just in case. If you dont use it, you can always take it back.

Last edited by pettyfog; 01-12-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
There are 'offset' bearings to repair cases where the axle has been scored. I see no reason they wouldnt work if it hadnt.
is there a specific name for these? i saw on the parts computer some bearings marked as RFB or something similiar but the guy didnt know much about them and said theres a seal attached to the bearing, price was double of the normal bearing

so everything went fine with the bearings/seals, but theres still a wobble in that back passenger side im guessing bent axle shaft, after putting it back together i still had it on the hoist so i put it in gear and u could see the tire wobble(tried 2 tires) and a clicking noise

Last edited by _HeC_; 01-14-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: rearend shake