2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Recall for 97 Blazer multifunction switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:56 AM
joe
joe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recall for 97 Blazer multifunction switch

I'm thinking of contacting Chevrolet to see if I can get a multifunction switch from them based on the earlier safety recall. The problem is I am not the original owner of this vehicle. Does that make a difference? Also, has anyone done this before and have a number or e-mail?

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:57 AM
joe
Default RE: Recall for 97 Blazer multifunction switch

Forgot to mention it's a 97 two door, two-wheel drive.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It does not matter if you are the original owner or not. Safety recalls are free of charge for the life of the vehicle, regardless of the owner.

However, I do not think that the '97 was included in the recall on the multifunction switch...

*EDIT* - Oh and please use the edit feature to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Posting consecutively falls under the double posting rules of our forum and is prohibited.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:25 PM
gizwilly is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI:

Replaced the multi-function on my '95 at the dealer....

$500...[sm=headbang.gif]

Hold onto yer wallet!!!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:01 PM
joe

I'm going to be doing this myself, so hopefully I'll only be out the cost of the part. Was going to look for one in a salvage yard but figured it would be smarter to just get a brand new one.

But yeah, 500 bucks. That hurts.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:24 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Kyle's right, the recall did not involve the 1997 model year, IIRC it was only 2000, and 2001, and the recall wasn't on the multi-function switch, just the hazard switch. There was a VERY smallnumber of them that had problems a hazard switch alone wouldn't fix, and needed the entire multi-switch replaced, but that was way less 1%of the total population of envolved vehicles, and of the hundreds done by our shop there were NONE that needed the multi-switch. You should try replacing your hazard switch alone first.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:43 PM
joe

I thought about doing that--just replacing the hazard switch. But since the car is in Puerto Rico, I think I'll bring an entire multifunction switch with me just in case. If I find out it needs the entire thing, I'll have it with me. It will be impossible to get down there. If it's just the hazard switch, I'm thinking I can just return the multifunction switch.
I was at a salvage yard today and found a 96 Blazer that was in nice shape. They wouldn't let me take the multifunction switch out of it because they sell the entire column.
If just my hazard switch is bad, would that kill my brake lights, tail lights, and directionals 'cause all that is dead right now.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought an aftermarket replacement switch from Autozone, cost about $175.00 (+/-) for my '96. Had to order it but it arrived in 2 days.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:41 PM
joe

Thanks, Junkmonkey. I got a Zone right up the street from me.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:15 PM
famouskid18 is on a distinguished road

i got a 1996 chevy blazer. i am replacing the multi function switch but am having trouble tryin to figure out how to get the air bag/horn removed to get the steering wheel off.... any help would be great. thanks!

Raymond

Quick Reply: Recall for 97 Blazer multifunction switch