2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replacing lifters

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Starting Member
Dadatone is on a distinguished road

Quick update.

I drove 45 miles today with no CEL! However, I'm still getting a slight roughness to my idle. Guess I need to check and/or adjust for camshaft retard.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You can check the readiness monitors with a scan tool and see if they have all completed their tests. If not, you can perform the appropriate step(s) in the General Motors Driving Cycle and force them to run and complete.

Incorrect camshaft retard directly affects crossfire in the distributor cap.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Starting Member

I'll check the monitors tonight.

By chance Captain do you have any experience with Bluetooth OBD II scanners? I've seen a few which allows you to reset camshaft retard, run fuel trim percentages, etc. as long as you have the correct software for your smartphone.

The software and device combined is much cheaper than a good quality hand held scan tool. What's your take on something like this?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Not a clue about bluetooth, strictly old school here I can tell you for certain that there isn't a scan tool or device around, anywhere, that will reset or adjust camshaft retard. It requires physically moving the distributor. Accessing the streaming live data, and allowing you to actually view it so you can adjust it, requires a high end scan tool or, there are aftermarket software programs for PC and laptop that are capable at a fraction of the cost of a high end scan tool. I don't have any first hand experience, but the Autoenginuity software appears to allow access to several levels.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Starting Member

Well, I spoke too soon, again.

P0306!

I drove 56 miles before the CEL came back on.

Back to square one. I did check the monitors and I now have EVAP and CATALYST saying they are not ready. This is a bit strange because the EVAP not ready is new.

I'm going back out to see how many rounds I have in my shotgun!

Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 PM

LOL ya gotta hit it in the vitals The EVAP monitor requires a very specific driving pattern in order to run and complete the test. I've seen vehicles go for months and still not complete the test.

Step #1 of the General Motors Driving Cycle does not have to be performed, but all of the others must be performed exactly as written. Not necessarily in order, but each step must be performed, (the catalyst monitor will also run).

Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Starting Member

It's not the EVAP I'm concerned with right now it's the darn P0306. And I haven't had the chance to get the camshaft retard reset yet.

Could the rough idle and P0306 be related to a timing issue? I just can't figure out why I'm still having this problem.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 PM

I realize EVAP is not the main concern, just giving you a suggestion to get the monitor to run and complete.

Timing affects all cylinders equally, so unless you're getting P1345, timing is not the problem. Usually, not always, if camshaft retard is off, it will cause P0300 to set rather than a single cylinder. If you have the freeze frame data when P0306 set, post it. There should be a clue as to what was happening when it set.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Starting Member

Okay, it looks like I'm going to have to break down and purchase an acceptable scanner.

Recommendations?

I know you mentioned Autoenginuity software Captain, but what about an hand held unit which would be able to provide me freeze frame data which won't break the bank. I don't have to have something new. Possibly a unit I could use on my other vehicles as well.

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 PM

Snapon Solus and Solus Pro will access way more stuff than an experienced DIYer would ever need. At any given time, Ebay has several decent used ones, usually under $2K. Brand new, 10 years ago, with a good supply of accessories, they were around $6K. They are both "entry level" high end scan tools. They are not fully bi-directional, (they can not re-flash the PCM). They will access engine, transmission, transfer case, ABS, airbag, TPMS, and darn near full bi-directional access to the BCM. Meaning you can operate almost everything on the vehicle from the scan tool: horn, lights, AC, windows, locks, instrument cluster gauges, etc etc. Make sure the software will cover the years of vehicles that you need it for. Annual software updates are available only through Snapon for $1K.

Quick Reply: Replacing lifters