2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Service Engine Soon light-K&N air intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 05:49 AM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Service Engine Soon light-K&N air intake

I had my K&N FIPK installed on my 96 blazer. After a short while, i noticed that the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Then it turned off for a few days. And every time that i put the ignition in the "on" position, the "Service Engine Soon" light blinks once, and then stays on with the rest of the lights on the dash board. Then after I turn the truck on, it goes away. Then when I drive around for a long time, the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on, and stays on for another few days. I took the the truck to my mechanic, and he put that diagnostic machine and said that everything was normal. He said that the light comes on because there is a greater mixture of air than fuel, and that the truck's computer does not recognize it. I want to double check with you guys, that would probably know more about it, because my brother has a 2000 Blazer with a K&N FIPK and he has no problems at all. Do you guys think there is something wrong with the air intake, that it was installed wrong, or that this is normal? Now this causes a problem, because if I really do have an issue with the truck, I will never know because this light is on. Please let me know what I should do.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Service Engine Soon light-K&N air intake

If the light was on, then there is a code in there and your mechanic just missed it. Every time the light comes on, something is stored in the memory. The light may go out, but the code is still there. You really need to find out what that code is.

One thing that happens with any aftermarket oiled air filter is the oil will coat the MAF sensor causing inaccurate readings. I would suggest you clean the elements on the sensor being VERY careful as you do it. Some electrical parts cleaner or MAF specific cleaner should do ya. If you can't get them back to their silvery white color, a q-tip soaked in the cleaner may be necessary, but again, BE VERY CAREFUL as the elements are fragile and the sensor is $$$ to replace.