2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

So my truck failed inspection misserably...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:32 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough
Default So my truck failed inspection misserably...

Apparently you need both front and rear sway bars, and a clamped exhaust doesn't pass. What garage doesn't have a welder? My shackles are also too long. Highest high above stock is 2" and mine are 4 1/2" higher than stock. Also my parking brake needed some work, my turn signal light, and idler arm... whole lot of crap. So now I have to take it to a monro muffler to get my muffler welded, put my front sway bar back on, and I don't know what I'm going to do about the rear sway bar I don't even have it anymore. The best part about the whole thing is this garage was saying if they fix everything it was going to be over $1000. They were going to put 2 new sway bars a whole new ehaust system from the cat back and take my shackles off and try to sell me new tires since the 31's would be to large if they lowered it. I never liked this garage to begin with but my parents insist that they are a good garage. This will be the last time I go there... the funniest thing of all was I was worried about my battery not being secured and they said nothing about that. weird eh? I hate inspection

Old 07-07-2010, 12:38 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, any mods done to a vehicle should be undertaken with state regulations in mind. A junk yard should have the rear sway bar and I would never recommend clamps on an exhaust system.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:06 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

exhausts are usually clamped from the factory i've replaced many mufflers and held them in place with a clamp and taken many off that were clamped.
sounds to me like they were looking to make some money off your truck
cant say enough about finding a garage you can trust, another reason i love being a mechanic

Old 07-07-2010, 01:11 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I agree with rriddle3 that's why I try to make sure what I do to my car is legal. Also, it sounds like inspections suck glad we don't have them here.
I also thought most exhausts were clamped from the factory.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:14 PM
BF Veteran

PA is really **** about inspections. But I agree with the muffler thing. It does have a leak in which is why I wanted it welded and it fell off last time I was 4 wheeling.. but I still thing that is dumb that a repair shop doesn't have a welder

Old 07-07-2010, 01:16 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, you would think that is one tool every repair shop would have.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:25 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

That sucks man. Obviously most of that stuff makes sense for not passing, but even still..ever thought of taking it somewhere for a second opinion or did you already get the beautiful rejection sticker?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:28 PM
BF Veteran

funny thing is I took my truck for inspection last year. it didn't have the rear sway bar last year. and it didn't have reflectors in the turn signal lights and it passed without any questions asked. Well they did say I needed new brakes. I did that myself and when I did my brake pads were still in good shape. But I should expect this from them. My mom spend over $7000 on her subaru outback there. She paid $10000 for the car when she bought it. Something seems a little off to me. I was waiting for them to tell me my brakes were wearing out because I changed them just 2 weeks ago. I'm going to pick it up tonight so we'll see if they gave me the rejection sticker. They are going to fix the stupid little things. I found a place that will inspect it

Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

4" shackles!? lmfao get some new leafs, your gal is gettin saggy, most are fine w/ 2" shackles for 31"s aren't they?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:57 PM
BF Veteran

yea... I'm going to lower them down a notch. my shackles have 3 holes. I have it on the highest one

Quick Reply: So my truck failed inspection misserably...