Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Spare tire hoist no workey (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/spare-tire-hoist-no-workey-92857/)

Tajohns34 07-11-2016 04:30 PM

Spare tire hoist no workey

2000 blazer LT 4x4, 4 door.

I got a screw in my tire so I put the spare on and got my tire plugged. So I put me wheel and tire back on. I went to put the spare tire back but the hoist will not retract now. I was able to get the cable out but when I go to retract it there is just a loud clicking sound and I can barely turn it. I assume it has to be replaced. So, how do I go about replacing it and also, where can I get one that isn't insanely expensive. If it is easy enough I can grab one from the junk yard. Any input is appreciated.

rexmburns 07-11-2016 05:01 PM

Be happy you actually got the tire to drop! I've seen countless lifts rusted out and non functional. If I remember correctly there's just one maybe two bolts that hold it in so it's not hard to remove. I just threw mine away a few months back in perfect working order. It's to bad you didn't need it then I'd have tossed it in a box and sent it to you sorry buddy. I think you can find them relatively cheap online tho.

Tajohns34 07-11-2016 07:58 PM

I will probably hit up my local yard for one soon. If I was brave enough to drill into the body I would grab a rear tire mount. There was 4 or 5 last time I was there.

jimspahr@msn.com 07-15-2016 05:50 AM

I have a 2 door, so I have a factory mounted rear tire rack. It is well designed and functions perfectly and I like it except for one thing. It blocks the inside rear view mirror almost completely. I have only the outside rear view mirrors to give me the rear view. But they are giving me the view to either side, not what is just behind me. Before going to that type tire mount, sit in a 2 door and see what I am referring to. Maybe this would be a situation for an aftermarket camera.

Tajohns34 07-15-2016 06:48 AM

I have a back up camera. And I don't really want a rear tire rack because I haul stuff in the back a lot and it would be too much hassle for me. I might yank it off this weekend and see how hard it is to replace.

Racer_X 07-15-2016 11:19 AM

There are dozens of the under body mounted hoists (for the 4 door) a available for $25-$35 (plus shipping) on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Tajohns34 07-15-2016 08:47 PM

Well I got mine off. I had to take the bumper off which is an interesting story all its own. One of the bolts is right under the bumper. All 4 of the bolts came off without hassle. My tire carrier is definitely shot. The inside of the crank mechanism is full of broken rusty cable, so I threw it out. Racer_X, thanks for the link, I'll check it out.