2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Spare tire storage

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Beginning Member
grayfort is on a distinguished road
Cool Spare tire storage

I just bought a 97 LT that has the spare tire in the cargo area. I tried to put it in it's storage area under the vehicle only to find the ratchet system wouldn't budge and the cable itself was broken. Is there anyway to replace the cable only or do I need to be looking for a complete assy? I've thought about looping a chain through a retaining bar and securing it with a padlock. Any ideas will be welcome.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:57 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

well my dad sprayed wd 40 in the cable assembly and she broke free then i got one of those cable ties the one with the 2 7/16 nuts . I made a loop then put the cable tie on it

the tire holds great now.

you can do the same if you got enough cable in her or you need to replace the whole thing

Old 07-29-2011, 04:00 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

it probably isnt worth the time to recable it even if it could be done. I would go junk yard shopping.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
well my dad sprayed wd 40 in the cable assembly and she broke free then i got one of those cable ties the one with the 2 7/16 nuts . I made a loop then put the cable tie on it

the tire holds great now.

you can do the same if you got enough cable in her or you need to replace the whole thing
I thought I had a patent on repairing the spare tire assembly with a cable clamp....I'll be contacting my lawyer. Or..you can just send me 10k now and we'll settle out of court. One good thing about the cable clamp is that if the cable ever gets stuck again you just need to take the clamp off and your spare falls on the ground.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Beginning Member
Default Tire iron alternative

I tried the WD-40, still no luck. Upon closer inspection though, I found the slot that the tire iron goes into wasn't lined up with the hole through the bumper. Inserting it at an angle and a couple turns, and some enlarging of the bumper hole, the cable started to come down with some help of vice grips pulling on it. After turning what seemed forever, the light bulb went off over my head. I took an old wood bore bit, 5/8", the flat type, ground the tip down and put it in my 1/2" drill. 4 quick tugs on the trigger and the cable was down to the ground. Now I can attach something to go thru the center hole of the wheel and store it properly. Thanks to all of you.

Attached Thumbnails Spare tire storage-spare-tire-tool-after.jpg   Spare tire storage-spare-tire-clamp.jpg   Spare tire storage-drill-ratchet-tool.jpg   Spare tire storage-quick-recoil.jpg   Spare tire storage-spare-secured.jpg  

Last edited by grayfort; 07-29-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old 07-29-2011, 03:49 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by grayfort
I tried the WD-40, still no luck. Upon closer inspection though, I found the slot that the tire iron goes into wasn't lined up with the hole through the bumper. Inserting it at an angle and a couple turns, and some enlarging of the bumper hole, the cable started to come down with some help of vice grips pulling on it. After turning what seemed forever, the light bulb went off over my head. I took an old wood bore bit, 5/8", the flat type, ground the tip down and put it in my 1/2" drill. 4 quick tugs on the trigger and the cable was down to the ground. Now I can attach something to go thru the center hole of the wheel and store it properly. Thanks to all of you.

looks good just the way how i did my pops but i used the original plate

Old 07-30-2011, 12:52 AM
Beginning Member

Mine didn't come with the original so I used what I had laying around. Fortunately I had this 1/4" thick piece of angle iron with some holes already cut into it.