2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Sputter / Flashing CEL

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 02:08 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default Sputter / Flashing CEL

So my Blaze is currently sputtering/running rough and the CEL came on and it flashes when it comes on, then stays steady then starts flashing again.

The events that led up to this include me hooking up a hose and an attachment to the flush and tee to get all the old coolant mixture out. I ran it until the water was clear as could be. Then added antifreeze in to balance out the water. It is close to 50/50 now. After I got finished doing that, I noticed the flush and tee cap leaking(it was a dripping but dripping is still leaking) . I didn't think much about it at the time because it was just dripping. I then put the radiator cap back on and turned it to just the 1st notch to belch the system. I didn't have much gas at this point (had around a quarter tank, but I had gas in there none the less) so I put in a bottle of chevron techron and went to the shell gas station up the street. When I first cranked it up the check engine light came on for a split second then went off fairly quickly. After I got gas, I went about 10 minutes down the road and parked it for a few minutes. (Before I cranked it, I saw a small puddle of coolant under the truck, probably due to the dripping of the flush and tee) When I cranked it back up it was sputtering and running really rough and the CEL was FLASHING then it would go steady then flash again. I decided that I needed to just take it home and not drive it right now. So I took it home and waited for the cooling system to cool down. Later on I replaced the whole tee assembly that was in the line (along with a new cap for the tee as well) and it stopped the dripping. I also notched the radiator cap so it was at the second notch now (fully locked). I then proceeded to crank it up and it was still sputtering and running rough as well as the flashing CEL. Anybody have a clue what is going on? Did I get some bad gas? Did hot antifreeze drip onto one of my spark plug wires/plugs and destroy it? A CEL doesn't come on for a tiny coolant drip around the tee. It just comes on if coolant was low. And the coolant wasn't low. So any suggestions? Ideas?

Sorry for the novel lol.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 AM
burned is on a distinguished road

You are misfiring. Must of got some of the electrical wet. Take off the cap and rotor to check for moisture.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:42 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Thanks for the suggestion, I took it by Advance to get the CEL read and I had a cylinder #2 misfire. A few minutes after I left Advance the CEL went away and it drove well again! I think the plug/wire for #2 got coolant or water in it. I let it sit last night after I fixed the coolant drip issue and I'm pretty sure it had a chance to dry. Now it runs well! It has run well all day!