2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starving for fuel...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 PM
BlazinJake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starving for fuel...?

I've got a 98 Chevy Blazer, I just got a new fuel pump installed due to the old one dyin on me. I also went ahead and replaced the fuel filter while i was down there. However, I was having a problem with the truck stalling sometimes before i replaced the pump and it's still doing it (I was hoping it to be the pump or filter...) What it's doing is when i first crank it up it runs ****ty, and when i put it into gear and give it a little gas it acts like its going to shut off and it chokes down a bit.. after about 10 seconds it'll idle up right and I can drive fine. Also I've noticed it'll do this every once in a while if I stop the truck and it has time to reach an idle (but not everytime...) It runs fine once i get it rolling good it only chokes down when i'm trying to get it going from stopped.

I've also noticed that until the engine warms up, after it chokes down a couple of times, it'll idle high, just over 1k rpms... (500 rpms being around the norm) What do I need to check or do to troubleshoot this problem and what does it sound like is my problem??? Thanks for your help guys.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Beginning Member
1badblaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Starving for fuel...?

if there was a wire harness that was available when you bought the fuel pump u should of bought it. but u need to check fuel pressure before and after start up and it helps to know voltage at the fuel pump. u can pull the idle speed steper motor and clean it and clean the throttle body. also while the engine is running spray some carb cleaner around the intake and upper plenum, if the idle goes high or it dies you have found a vacumn leak

Old 08-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would bet that it is not starving for fuel, but rather for air. I would remove and clean the throttle body, paying particular attention to the IAC (idle air control) valve that is located in the back of the throttle body pointing towards the driver side. The reason I say this is because if the IAC is sticking near closed, it will affect idle quality, then it may pull open and go too far causing the higher idle sometimes. Cleaning things will not hurt anything.

While you are in there cleaning things, remove the EGR valve and clean it up real good. You will need a new gasket and I recommend the aftermarket replacement with an integrated screen on the inlet side. Also remove the MAF sensor and give it a thorough cleaning with MAF specific cleaner.

I do not believe that the 98+ need the wiring harness.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:20 PM
BlazinJake is an unknown quantity at this point

could someone point me in the right direction towards a thread explaining how exactly to get to these parts and clean them properly???

Old 08-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The search feature is a good tool for finding things.

How-To: EGR Valve Cleaning
HOW-TO: MAF Sensor Cleaning