2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Sticking gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 01:17 PM
MHPrior80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sticking gas pedal

hey all im not sure what to do for this problem...but when i step on the gas pedal, it tends to stick alittle. what do i do to solve this problem? thanx in advance

Old 04-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Sticking gas pedal

I would start by disconnecting the throttle cable from the throttle body and seeing if it is the cable that is sticking or the throttle body.

If it is the throttle body, I would remove it and give it a thorough cleaning.

If it is the cable, inspect for kinks. If none are found, with one end of the cable disconnected, spray some penetrating oil down it and work it back and forth. If you do find a kink... Well... That isn't good and you probably will have to replace the cable to get it to work smooth again. You can try to work the kink out, but I haven't had the best of luck doing that in the past.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:02 AM
MHPrior80 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanx for the advice...what might i use then to clean off/out the throttel body?will i need a new gasket or anything when i reinstal it?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Some O2 sensor safe throttle body cleaner (it'll say O2 sensor safe on the can). You do not need any new gaskets as all of the seals for the throttle body and related sensors on it are o-ring style seals. Just clean everything very well after removing the seals carefully then clean and lubricate the seals with some WD40 before reinstalling them. While you are cleaning the TB, remove the IAC valve (idle air control) and clean the pintle (tip on the valve itself) and the bore it goes into with an old toothbrush. The IAC valve is the metal cylinder at the back of the throttle body that is held in with either straight up torx screws or safety torx screws (regular torx screws with an extra post in the center of the recessed head) which will require a special set of torx bits.l

If you can take the extra time, snap some pictures of the process showing what needs to be removed to get the throttle body off and do the cleaning. It'll help a lot of people as this question gets asked quite frequently. Thanks!!