2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Strange distributor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road
Default Strange distributor mount?

Howdy,
Last days I went back to an old Chevy '96. It has a distributor with a horizontal cover. Some of these went through my hands, but this one has an unusual type of mount. It does not have a flat metal bar with a drilled mounting hole as usual. Instead it has:
- sort of a horizontal "V" groove that should clip over a pin located at the top of the intake
- it is being fixed by additional, separate metal "C" shape clip that has a drilled mount hole and clips on top of the shaft
- a label "made in China"
- not a single arrow mark underneath the cap for timing setup
Dunno if the:
- design is a chineese type and thus it has that weird mount type or it's a standard, but an older version (haven't seen that kind of mount on ebay though)
- fixation problem was on my side, but when I wanted to use an old one of these I had, the camshaft sensor socket did collide with a firewall,

Could anyone enlighten me in this matter? I hope I've stated myself clear enough on the design. If not - I may bring some pictures tomorrow.

Cheers, Mike

Old 07-10-2018, 07:22 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Howdy,
Last days I went back to an old Chevy '96. It has a distributor with a horizontal cover. Some of these went through my hands, but this one has an unusual type of mount. It does not have a flat metal bar with a drilled mounting hole as usual. Instead it has:
- sort of a horizontal "V" groove that should clip over a pin located at the top of the intake
- it is being fixed by additional, separate metal "C" shape clip that has a drilled mount hole and clips on top of the shaft
- a label "made in China"
- not a single arrow mark underneath the cap for timing setup
Dunno if the:
- design is a chineese type and thus it has that weird mount type or it's a standard, but an older version (haven't seen that kind of mount on ebay though)
- fixation problem was on my side, but when I wanted to use an old one of these I had, the camshaft sensor socket did collide with a firewall,

Could anyone enlighten me in this matter? I hope I've stated myself clear enough on the design. If not - I may bring some pictures tomorrow.

Cheers, Mike
Hi Mike, I'm having difficulty understanding what you are asking and why. Can you please explain further.