2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Torque Pro & ELM 327 Connecting To ECU Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 09:31 PM
reway is on a distinguished road
Default Torque Pro & ELM 327 Connecting To ECU Issues

Hello all,
I have recently decided I wanted a better scanner that could read more than my $250 generic one. So I got a Fire HD 8" tablet, then got the google play store on it to get torque pro, and got an ELM 327 Mini. I finally tried to connect it with the blazer and it would not connect to the ECU, I tried many things like a default profile and switching the obd protocol to SAE J1850 VPW which I believe is correct for the blazer. It still did not connect, I then connected my $250 wired scanner to the blazer with no issues. Here's the kicker, I then tried to plug in the ELM to my BMW E90 and it connected right away and I was able to read codes using torque pro... I have looked and from what I can see the ELM 327 should be compatible with the SAE J1850 VPW protocol so it doesn't make sense it works in one car for me but not the blazer? If anyone could shine some light on what could be going on here that would be great.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:38 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Is your elm 327 the real thing or a Chinese knock off? I've had a few of those that won't connect. I ended up buy this one.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the reply Hess, in my troubleshooting I have found the BAFX scanner is preferred on this forum. I got the ELM
here here
on amazon, I couldn't say if it's a clone or not, but based on the fact it works with my BMW and not the Blazer I would say the chances are high that it is a clone and the scanner in fact does not support the SAE J1850 VPW protocol required for the blazer. Especially since my wired scanner works fine with it so I know the problem isn't with the Blazer. I don't really know what else to try as it seems I have tried everything so I think this scanner will be sent back and I will get a BAFX scanner, hopefully, I will have better luck with that. In the meantime, if anyone has any other ideas I am open to them!

Old 06-06-2022, 09:07 AM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Like I said I have a couple of the elm 327 and non of them work on my gm vehicles. They work on my charger though. I do use the torque app though and it works great

Old 06-07-2022, 12:07 PM

Thanks Hess that definitely confirms what's going on here. That's unfortunate but it seems it doesn't support the gm protocol, the BAFX should be here in a few days and should work properly. Let this be a lesson, DONT buy a ELM327 for your GM vehicle!

Old 06-07-2022, 04:55 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Torque Pro is a good OBD2 scanner program with the lone exception of not being able to read cam sensor retard on our Blazers. Other than that, it will do a lot of other Powertrain things, and the interface is very nice.

Myself, I have Torque Pro, Car Diagnostic Pro, and Dash Command on my cell phone. Each has it's strong points.

Honestly the BAFX is also a ELM327 clone - just much better quality. I've had mine for 8 years.

You have to exit the program correctly or it will have trouble connecting. Click "exit" when exiting the program (don't just close it). You might want to try torque light as a test (free and simple). If all else fails - reboot your device and unplug the OBD2 adapter.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:26 PM

Thanks Les, I actually got torque pro thinking it would read the cam sensor retard but then soon figured out in one of your other posts that it doesn't. I still want to have a look at the IAC counts and I see torque can do that at least. I tried almost everything to connect that ELM mini to the blazer and nothing worked so it got sent back, the BAFX should be here tomorrow then I should be in business.

Old 06-08-2022, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by reway
Thanks Les, I actually got torque pro thinking it would read the cam sensor retard but then soon figured out in one of your other posts that it doesn't. I still want to have a look at the IAC counts and I see torque can do that at least. I tried almost everything to connect that ELM mini to the blazer and nothing worked so it got sent back, the BAFX should be here tomorrow then I should be in business.
Must still be looking at trying to make it smoother at idle!!!! Let us know if we can help in any way.

Old 06-08-2022, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by reway
Must still be looking at trying to make it smoother at idle!!!! Let us know if we can help in any way. But got to run a hecuvalot better without the bent valve!! Did it used to be smoother idle when you first got it? Or has it always run a bit rough for your liking? What happened to bend the valve? Just the nut lost down the intake or was it something else like excessive RPMs? I'm still pretty hazy on the pre-spider replacement era!

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-08-2022 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:43 PM

Yes I am Les, the scanner will be here definitely today and I will have a look at some stuff. I'm going to be quite honest here, the blazer has never really run 100% I don't think since I got it. At first, it was the leaking spider and I drove it around too long like that to the point my cat said goodbye (a year and a half ago) then coming up on last summer just over a year ago I had P0300 again, pulled my fuel filter out and the gas was black. Now after I replaced that it was running fairly well I remember, until a bit later (a month or so) out of nowhere, it would just not start at all. I remember it would only start if I was holding the gas pedal down all the way and die after taking my foot off the gas pedal, that was the first time it threw me P0506. Now I remember the next morning after fussing with it a bit, it just started normally and I drove it to work, but I don't remember actually changing anything. Later that day I replaced the IAC motor and remember feeling a change in idle from the start of putting that in, and ever since putting that new IAC in I have had P0507. I remember even taking the IAC back out and putting it in again thinking I may have put it in wrong causing a vacuum leak LOL. Now, the IAC in it now is a Lordco branded special, not ACDelco, I don't think this would make a big difference though as it's just a simple motor that sticks out however far based on the signal it receives? The first thing I want to check is obviously the IAC counts to see if I can spot a vacuum leak or anything going on! Then I will check desired vs actual RPM. It is running very well right now Les, it starts up first crank every time and has not stalled out yet, it just seems rough a bit rough at idle still and the P0507 code makes me certain something is not right with the idle. I will let you guys know what I find. About the bent valve, still not sure as all I found really was the valve sticking in the guide so that could cause it? Still a little confused about how the valve hit the piston on a non-interference engine... Seems like the valve would have to open more than the rockers allow. The nut I dropped down there I took out before trying to start it again.

Quick Reply: Torque Pro & ELM 327 Connecting To ECU Issues