Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Trailer light harness (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/trailer-light-harness-44218/)

mnmetalhead 05-07-2010 11:26 AM

Trailer light harness

Do any of you guys know if the 2001 Blazer came with a trailer light harness? It doesn't have a hitch but there is a place for a ball on the bumper. I havent located a harness though.

ohsofly 05-08-2010 02:16 AM

If it had a hitch on it, then it would have wiring. I doubt the ones without a hitch have the wiring. Good news is that its not hard at all to add the wiring to, its 4 wires soldered into the taillight harness and tucked and tied nicely, a hitch is not hard to bolt on either if you wanted to buy one. Bad news is i dont think you want to be towing much off the bumper, I think they are only good for 500 pounds. Not sure if thats pulling force or hitch weight...?

BTW, that hold in the bumper is for mounting a 2.5" trailer ball on and then getting one of those funny covers that go over it... then you can block most of your licence plate for the photo radar cars. We have those where I used to live.

Dabber 05-08-2010 12:18 PM

I didn't have a hitch or anything when I bought mine. If you look under the rear bumper there will probably be a a bunch of wires there all ties up. If i remember correctly there was a Label or tag saying what each wire was too. There is no end on them so you will have to add that but the wires were there on mine. So i just added the Four wired plug and the hitch itself and i've been good since. So i didn't have to splice into the rear lights.

swartlkk 05-09-2010 07:31 AM

Yeah, there should be the basic wiring tucked into the rear cross member on the frame.

LowLife 05-09-2010 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ohsofly (Post 327795)
Bad news is i dont think you want to be towing much off the bumper, I think they are only good for 500 pounds. Not sure if thats pulling force or hitch weight...?

that hold in the bumper is for mounting a 2.5" trailer ball on and then getting one of those funny covers that go over it... then you can block most of your licence plate for the photo radar cars

The tongue weight is 350lb, They say that is good for 3500lb's evenly distributed weight. I cant say how true that is, But i know i tow a 14ft single axle trailer on my bumper Loaded with my 250, And 2 utility quads no problem.

I think my tow ball is a 2",

AJBert 05-09-2010 08:05 PM

[QUOTE=ohsofly;327795]BTW, that hold in the bumper is for mounting a 2.5" trailer ball on and then getting one of those funny covers that go over it... QUOTE]

Never heard of a 2.5" trailer ball. A 1 7/8", a 2" and a 2 5/16" I've heard of but never a 2.5", let alone a funny cover for one.

Anyways, there should be the wiring back there as already stated.

Meash 09-10-2012 01:06 PM

Wire Harness

I am looking to add the harness to my 2001 Jimmy. I found the wires under the bumper, but they go up through the rubber boot and into the tailgate. I can clearly see the colours that are for the wire harness. Why would they go into the tailgate? Could they be wired from there to head to the passenger side tail light?