2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Tranny down, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:44 PM
lachrimae is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny down, ideas?

Hey everyone,

The auto (4L60e) Tranny on my '98 Jimmy 4.3L 4x4 has gone out. Reverse
is like neutral and OD grinds but never engages... 2nd & 3rd still work
but slip.

Anyway, I am looking for suggestions on how to go about replacing the
unit (rebuild myself, or drop tranny & put in a purchased rebuilt, or have a
shop do everything).

I do all regular maintenance on my cars but the only bigger thing I've
done (not including small things like water pumps, starters,
thermostats, radiators, brake master cylinders & boosters, etc...) is a
swap of the rear differential on my vette. That being said, I'm trying
to decide if I'll get in over my head if I try to rebuild the tran.

Here are my options:

1) Rebuild the tranny myself: I have an overhaul manual that I
could use but I don't have any of the specialty tools that are
recommended for the procedure. Everyone seems to say that rebuilding an
auto tranny is a BIG deal but it's hard to qualify exactly what that
means... Any thoughts on doing the rebuild on my own? I'm thinking
this would cost ~$300 for the rebuild kit plus a reman. torque converter
(price?).

2) Drop the tranny & put in a rebuilt: I feel quite confident
that I could do this although I will still need to buy a tranny jack.
Would you suggest one of the ebay rebuilts or something local for more
$? I'm finding ebay trannys for ~$900 but I still have to pay to get
the core back to them (not sure what shipping would cost).

3) Pay a shop to do the whole shabang: I've called around and the
best I've found so far covers all labor and parts plus a 1yr warranty
covering parts & labor. Cost estimate is $1500 to $1700 depending on
which hard parts have to be swapped. I should note that I'm VERY weary
of most shops and cynically think I'd probably be getting calls during
the rebuild about additional parts that would be needed, thus jacking
the total cost up above 2k. It's happened to me more than once [:@]

Thanks a ton for your suggestions. I've got two other cars and a
motorcycle for tranportation while working on this tranny so I can take
my time if necessary.

Adios,
Mark

Old 12-05-2006, 12:03 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Tranny down, ideas?

i suffered ur fate just about a month ago, i went the aamco way and it did get over 2k quick, i should haved listened to everyone else and try to tackle something i too have never tried. im sure its not that complicated and there are many options as far as rebuilts for sale online, monstertrans and cobra trans are good starts.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Automatic transmissions are a very complex piece of equipment. I know of one member that has rebuilt the 4L60E here and he had the help of a pro while doing it, IIRC. There is so much that can go wrong and the only way to know that you did it wrong is to have it all back together. Then you need to pull it out again and figure out what went wrong.

I would recommend a remanufactured transmission if you can. I have heard a lot of good things about Monstertrans.com. One member purchased a trans from them and I believe he is doing great with it.

Transmissions are easily pulled from underneath. Remove the driveshafts, remove the transfer case, remove the transmission. You'll need quite a few long extensions to get to the top most transmission bellhousing bolts. You'll also want a good set of jack stands to support the vehicle as high as you safely can.

If you have any questions about it, just let us know!

Old 12-05-2006, 01:06 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

I use to just buy rebuilt trany's to have the warranty. Til I got bit on several.

I finally decided to start with a 727 torqueflite Chrysler trany out of a 4x4.

Talk about easy, then did a 350 Turbo Chevy, not much different.

So far the only special tool that was needed was a pump puller, I made one from two rods | 1/2 in square stock 8" long over paying $280 for the special tool. It works better then the tool as I let my buddy who does tranys all the time try it. He said it was better then his $300 snap-on pump puller. I made him 2 of them. So if you have a set of snap ring plyers (external and internal) and the time to do it. It well worth it in the long run. Then you know for sure what you got.

As for the trany jack, use the hydrolic assit table (on sale at your local Partsamerica supplier like checkers or autozone) It works way better then the trany jack and can handle more weight. Or you can get the trany adaptor for just about any 2 ton or more floor jack for around $65 and up. Only thing you need to ensure is that you have a clean area to rebuild it. As the 727 you dont even want to get a thread in it (from a towel or rag) if you do its toast.

[:-] After saying all of this, my suggestion to you seeing as you have never done one before. Buy a rebuilt trany and drop it in. If you get it from your local parts store, you can still get the warranty and not have to worry about the S&H to return the core. And most parts stores can order from your pick of supplier (well atleast mine does). And foresure replace the torque converter, not good to reuse unless you are sure its good.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:11 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Tranny Removel

You broke your reaction sun shell.
Link to my 4L60E rebuild thread.
REbuild

Can you rebuild it yourself? Yes, with the right help. Rebuilding a tranny is easy, if you know what your doing. Every part must go back togehter in the exact order they came out. Some parts look identical on both sides, however they only go one way, they will go in backwards too. There are a ton of things to watch for. Even some of the gaskets have a lip/ridge that must go in the right way.

Call the dealer, they are offering 100K mile warrenties on reman units, even if you install it yourself. Bit steep in price, but not too far off the prices I have seen listed here so far. Like $1500 or so.

You dont need a tranny jack, a good floor jack and a buddy to help. Tranny jack makes life easier, but you can do it without one. Buddy operates the jack and you balance guide the tranny out and in. Figure a weekend to drop it, and a weekend to put it back in.
There are only a few special tools you must have to rebuild the tranny. The input shaft ring sizing tool ($120) ids the most expensive, and most critical. The rest you can make due with hand tools and some ingenuity.

However I bet you just broke your reaction sun shell unit. You do not need to completely tear the tranny apart. This is where the expert can save you time. You could replace just the reaction sun shell, reassembly and be on your way. However if you chunked off pieces of metal like I did, the further you tear it down the better. I found chunks every where in the tranny. Had I let them go, I would have been doing it again.

Check the links and ask more quesitons.

Which option you choose is up to you.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:13 AM
AutomagicLS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your gonna spend 1500-2000 on a rebuilt tranny might just want to buy a built one....

Old 12-05-2006, 10:39 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

yea it does sound like the sun gear, but the mechanics will hit u with a torque convertor.(which u should change as well, just get some info to find out if its a thirty spline or not). but they will give u a rebuilt as well for around 3 bills on top of the 1500 for labor, 100 for the sun gear, pumps, bands, clutchs, and anything else worn will definitely top the 2k mark. if u go this route make sure u try and pay cash and save the 300 dollar tax depending on what state ur in. again i would go for the swap. they list on ebay for 700-800, but u dont know what ur getting and there is no warranty. or a similar route would be a junkyard, but the same thing as before, no knowledge and warranty. then the rebuilt from monster or cobra could start at 1300-1700, plus they are completely cleaned inside and out plus they might offer warranties. now if u can find a parts store that will order, then that would deffinitly save on time and shipping for the new and core. good luck and good decisions, i would have done the swap myself, but timing and weather held me back. if u got the means, motivation and patience then go ahead and do us all a favor. SAVE SOME MONEY!!!!!

Old 12-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not just buy a low mileage tranny from a junkyard (or ebay)? Seems like the cheapest/easiest way to do it.

Chances are, if it blows, you can replace it down the road again and still be at less money than you'd pay to have somebody else rebuild it.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:27 AM
lachrimae is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of the tips & information, I really appreciate it.

I think I'm leaning towards doing the swap myself on a reman. or rebuilt tranny. I need to do some more research into the monstertrans and cobratransmissions vs. ebay cheapies to decide which way to go. I pull my boat with the Jimmy so it wouldn't hurt to have a slightly more heavy duty build like the moster trans...

Hanr3, thanks for the links to your tranny removal/rebuild threads, I'll read through them and ask questions if any arise.

I'll keep everyone updated on what I choose & how it goes.

lach

Old 12-06-2006, 02:54 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Cost me less the $500 to rebuiild my tranny. Parts, labor, and fluids.

you can buy a salvage yard tranny for arond $600, and most will come with a 30 warrenty. If it survives thefirst 30 days, it should work just fine. If you go this route, replace on quart of tranny fluid with 1 quart of "Tranny Shock" fluid. Ask at the parts counter, they will know what your talking about. If not, look in the chemical isle for the Lucas products.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

Rebuilt is the best option, not the cheapest, bu thte best in my opinion. Get a reliable local shop to do it. Talk to them. Your tranny isn't ther first one. Find out what thier warrenty is, even if you remove and install. See if you can bring it by so they can verifty the install and honor the warrenty full term. Get everything in writing, too easy to forget 6 months from now.

With a rebuild the tranny shop can do the upgrades, and fix any GM issues for your particular year. Tell them you tow with it. They can build it accordingly.