2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Trans speedo abs ETC

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Beginning Member
burnitup is on a distinguished road

OK so i went to the local junk yard and started looking for it theres no sense in messing up my car. Ok so the blazer at the junk yard was exact same year same body same motor etc. the only diff in the junk yard car was it had a manual 4x4 selector not push button. The speed buffer was under he glove box one panel and four bolts to remove it. so i bought the speed buffer because i figured it wouldnt hurt to try it before i rewire the thing. So i get home and pull the cover off and there is nothing there?? its differant the the one at the junk yard. Now im getting confused. IM pretty sure its not obd2 it only has one o2 sensor but im not sure how they did the the whole obd2 in chevys. Im kinda back to where i was before. i dont think they would have put it some where else in the car but maybe they did. Also the car i got it from had a big computer looking thing above the speed buffer. Is that the ecu on that car? the last pcm i got from the junk yard was out of a 95 it made no change. is it possible that i need one from a 96? i am just stumped. this odd ball year is making it very hard to figure out anything at all.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Under the hood, on the passenger side inner fender, is the PCM mounted on top of the coolant reservoir?

Old 08-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Beginning Member

yes that is how mine is.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Might as well stop looking for the buffer You have a CMFI fuel delivery system with OBD1.5 computer controls. The buffer is in the PCM. Is your check engine light on? If so, find a shop that has a scan tool that can communicate with OBD1.5 and have them retrieve the DTC's, (not all scan tools can communicate with your system).

Old 08-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Beginning Member

no check engine lights at all the light blinks when you start it so there is a bulb in there.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Beginning Member

does this mean that the vss wires go sraight to the pcm? can i straight wire them in?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:20 PM

VSS wiring goes directly to the PCM. Best to check resistance of the wires from the VSS to the PCM, should be less than 5 ohms.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Beginning Member

ok ill check that this weekend ill ave to get my meter and leads to do that. Should i try it cold and hot because when its cold it works fine drive it around untill the speedo stops working and then try it.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:18 PM

VSS is typically not affected by heat, but it can't hurt to check it both ways.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Beginning Member

I guess it doent matter now some fool hit my blazer going at least 40 mph pushed it 25 feet bent the frame the back end is trashed and my mirrors folded in because they hit it so hard. hit and runs sux.

Quick Reply: Trans speedo abs ETC