2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Transmission Filter Seal Probs

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:43 AM
GMC_Jimmy_13 is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Filter Seal Probs

This was my first attempt and completely draining and replacing the transmission fluid on my 96 Jimmy and it was all going ok until I went to install the fram transmission filter I bought. The seal ring that comes with it wouldnt fit, so I had to go try another one from pep boys. Its started like it wasn't gonna fit either so I put the seal ring straight on the filter and forced it up in. Problem was I'm pretty sure it was in very good but I put the pan on as fast I could and bolted it up so it wouldn't fall back out. Filled it up with new fuild and it ran good, BUT my question is does the pan completely hold up and support the filter? I'm wondering if the filter can fall down in the pan and screw up when I'm driving?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:16 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

The seal holds the filter up in place. The pan is not intended to support the filter body. If you go around corners or up and down steep hills and notice the tranny slipping and regrabbing, that would be a sign that the filter has fallen down.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:54 AM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

When you pulled the old filer off, did you check to make sure the old o-ring came down with it? I'm wondering if the old one wasn't still up there and that's why you had a problem getting the new one on.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:58 AM
65longroof is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats what I was thinking.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:19 AM

Unfortunately no cause that would make a lot of sense. But I pried out the old one out before I put the new one in. Its weird though cause its driving alright. But Im guessing the only way to fix this is to take everything back off and then have to refill the transmission fluid huh?

Old 05-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Beginning Member
Colby 04 is on a distinguished road

I think the pan assists in holding the filter. They make a deep pan filter kit and a shallow pan filter kit...

Old 05-02-2009, 06:42 PM

Too bad they can't do like some and have a nut holding the filter up. If I remember right, our HMMWV's are like that.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 AM

yeah that would just make WAY to much sense on GM's part lol. Well thanks guys I guess i'm gonna drive it around for awhile and hope nothing slips!

Old 05-03-2009, 03:23 PM

That's the wierd part-it is a GM engine and transmission in our HMMWV's. You would think they'd do the same for all thier trannys.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:13 AM

those things are pretty frickin heavy duty though, but yeah its not like it would take that much effort on GM's part. But I spent sometime driving around the Jimmy today and I ran perfect. No slips no probs, so I guess I got it put in right after all, thanks to everybody for the help!

Quick Reply: Transmission Filter Seal Probs