2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Truck Won't Start After RKE Installation Attempt

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The installation of the RKE module may have triggered the PCM to lock down. You may have no other choice but to have the dealer do the scan tool passlock reprogram.

There may be another explanation, but this is kind of out there. If your PCM/BCM did not have the programming for the RKE and/or alarm, the addition of an RKE module may trigger the PCM/BCM into thinking that the factory alarm has been installed and activated. The dealer may have to program your PCM/BCM to accept the presence of the RKE module. Some are finicky like this, others are not. Yours being newer, this may be the case.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Beginning Member
Iron Lotus is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The installation of the RKE module may have triggered the PCM to lock down. You may have no other choice but to have the dealer do the scan tool passlock reprogram.

There may be another explanation, but this is kind of out there. If your PCM/BCM did not have the programming for the RKE and/or alarm, the addition of an RKE module may trigger the PCM/BCM into thinking that the factory alarm has been installed and activated. The dealer may have to program your PCM/BCM to accept the presence of the RKE module. Some are finicky like this, others are not. Yours being newer, this may be the case.

So how would I get it to the dealer then?

And if I had an OB2 scanner.... Would that make a difference.
Been looking at some..... This really sucks on many different levels...

edit: I done the whole thing again and made sure I was right around 10 minutes.... No luck.
I cant believe by touching a prong has caused me basically to p!ss away however much this is going to cost.

Last edited by Iron Lotus; 05-12-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Best bet would be to tow it there...

Well, it may not have been the touching of the prong. With the newer trucks, there are software changes that need to be made inside the PCM/BCM for the addition of the RKE. On the 2002+ (IIRC), it requires a change in the PCM/BCM. Basically, how the dealer handles this is they would need a VIN from a vehicle which has all of the same options as you plus RKE to be able to download the PCM/BCM programs and then upload them to your PCM/BCM to make everything work. I am not sure if their method of downloading the proper program has changed though. The same is true for fog lights of all things.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Beginning Member

Well My scanner pulled up a code for some sensor on the beretta, Same type pin connector... So I thought for sure it was going to work on blazer
and it wont recognize it. Says its not connected to a vehicle...

Old 05-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Check the CIG fuse. It also powers the DLC.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member

Check the CIG fuse. It also powers the DLC.

Yeah I said it was bad in the original post nobody mentioned
it was the DLC too, it wasnt labeled or anything..

ANyway I got it to scan the blazer.... Only it says
"no DTC's stored in vehicles ECU"...

So maybe thats a clue that something bad has happenened...
What did I ruin? Is it going to cost more than 300 bucks...
I wish I could get a ballpark estimate on what it should be.
Ive heard of the dealers up here charging 350 for some breaks...
900 for a water pump/installation.. I mean its completely REDICULOUS
and its shameless. I mean talk about gettin ripped a new one at the dealer

Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Administrator

No idea what could be messed up. We were not there for your install. It is likely that your PCM has just security locked and it may just take an hour or two of Tech2 time to unlock it and flash the appropriate software for the RKE addition to your PCM. You will not know until you get it looked at.

Wish we could help more, but being untold miles away and not looking over your shoulder for everything makes for a difficult time diagnosing things of this nature.

And typically when you find a blown fuse, you replace it. You did not mention if it had blown again... I was simply informing you that the CIG fuse also powered the DLC.

I am sure that you are frustrated, but please check your frustration at the door. No one here put you in the situation you are in. We ARE trying to help you with your situation. If you get frustrated and start throwing things back in our face, it does little to make anyone want to devote more of their time to help you out.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Beginning Member

No idea what could be messed up. We were not there for your install. It is likely that your PCM has just security locked and it may just take an hour or two of Tech2 time to unlock it and flash the appropriate software for the RKE addition to your PCM. You will not know until you get it looked at.

Wish we could help more, but being untold miles away and not looking over your shoulder for everything makes for a difficult time diagnosing things of this nature.

And typically when you find a blown fuse, you replace it. You did not mention if it had blown again... I was simply informing you that the CIG fuse also powered the DLC. If you want to get frustrated and start throwing things back in our faces, have at it, but good luck getting help if you have a poor attitude.

did I throw something back in your face?

just stated it for clearness of the specific topic.
And yeah usually Id replace the fuse, But for all i knew, it was just
the cig lighter... And I dont smoke, and rarely even use the car phone charger...
Little did i know it doubled as the DLC, or I would have replaced it right after it happened.

And the only thing I did PERIOD, was ground the bottom right
pin. THAT WAS ALL I DID. And before that it was the thing
they said do "hold lock button, turn ignition" something or other
then hold lock/unlock on the remotes we bought... Our blazer
was supposed to already have keyless on it, We just didnt have remotes.

So I mean I dont even see why this has happened I didnt go re wiring
or really messing with that much, Basically the one pin that blew the cig fuse....

And if I seem to have an attitude, Maybe I do? I dunno im here to
try and solve my problem, Im not thinkin weather im hurtin feelings
or not before I post, I didnt know folks were so sensitive to
the way you say something when it comes to fixin your car, I apologize.

Last edited by Iron Lotus; 05-19-2009 at 08:42 PM.