2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Turning off Auto Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Beginning Member
AintQik is on a distinguished road
Default Turning off Auto Headlights

LOL! I've had these trucks for years and this morning I just realized you can turn off the auto lights by pressing the Dome Override button three times. That comes in handy as I'm in the military and I hate blinding the gate gaurds at night. I guess I aint half as smart on these things as I think I am

Old 11-19-2012, 07:36 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Dont feel bad,i just discovered last summer after owning many 1st gens that they had a switch on the tailgate dome light. Here i was turning lights on using the slide switch above the headlight switch for years.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 AM
daddyx2 is on a distinguished road

am i the only one thats gonna say i just learned something new? (about pressing the dome override 3 times and that turning off the autolights...as i head out the door to go try it!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Starting Member
mrspeedy69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info, I didn't know you could do that either.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Beginning Member
AintQik is on a distinguished road

Might be 4 times, I forget how many times I mashed it. I was actually driving last night and was messing with the dome switch and my lights went out lol. Scared the crap out of me and I thought, "oh man something else I need to fix". Turned them on manual then thought, "hmmm"..... lol

Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Beginning Member
thundergod66 is on a distinguished road

Does it turn them off permanilty or just until you start the blazer again??

Old 11-19-2012, 01:09 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Until the truck is turned off. The button has to be pressed 3-6 times depending on the year model.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM
daddyx2 is on a distinguished road

i tried mine and after 3 pushes it went of, but couldnt figure out how to get them to turn back on until i moved the switch to the top position, but after i turned the vehicle off and then tried to push the button 3 times again to turn them off, it didnt work? i was driving and was using the truck infront of me's tailgate to see if the lights went off or not, and i dunno if i was just in a shady spot or what, but they didnt go off...gonna try it again tonight with the vehicle in park in the driveway just for s***s and giggles...any more tips ya got for us pass em along!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyx2
i tried mine and after 3 pushes it went of, but couldnt figure out how to get them to turn back on until i moved the switch to the top position, but after i turned the vehicle off and then tried to push the button 3 times again to turn them off, it didnt work...
Unless you turn the headlight swith back to the 'auto' position, the button won't work.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You can disable this forever by using I think a 1kohm resistor on the sensor on the dash.

Quick Reply: Turning off Auto Headlights