2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Vacuum hose @ TC

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:03 AM
Starting Member
man0steel is on a distinguished road
Default Vacuum hose @ TC

2002 ZR2 Auto 3 button.

Getting ready to tackle vacuum line replacement from the transfer case. Question is the 3 hose connection at the transfer case switch seems to be a one piece connection with the 3 hoses permanently affixed. Will the replacement hoses simply attach to the switch or do I need to splice the new hoses above the OE connection. Just trying to get a heads up on that connection before I get started.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:32 PM
Starting Member
okaussie is on a distinguished road

On my 2002 Crew Cab the hoses just slid over the three nipples on the plastic connector. Just remove the hoses from that plastic connector one at a time and replace them.

If you take the connector off of the switch, change the hoses and put it back on the switch you could have problems with the front axle not engaging.
The plastic connector is also keyed so it has to go on correctly..

Goodluck

Bill

Old 08-15-2018, 11:14 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

The toy in my avatar was built out of a 92 GMC Jimmy 4x4- the molded rubber boot for the switch was shot and leaked vacuum. Being a molded rubber unit i did what you are asking about. When replacing the lines just make sure that they are plugged on the switch in the right spots and fit tight and cannot slip off. 6 years that way with no problems.

Last edited by odat; 08-15-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:34 AM
dlundblad is on a distinguished road

They just slide off.

I just went at it with wire cutters and cut the connector off the old lines so I could see what was going on. There's the actual rubber connector/ plug, but it has fittings in it as well. I ended up breaking one when removing one of the hoses so it may help to just gently cut them off with a razor knife. You'll need 5/32 and 7/32 vacuum hose. You may want to check the switch itself and make sure it's not leaking. If it is, you may need a new actuator that sits under the battery too. Mine had about 2 tablespoons of ATF in it, but still somehow functioned.

I used this picture for the orientation.
https://www.google.com/search?biw=12...-7jOt9HRozcHM:

Old 08-16-2018, 07:27 AM
Starting Member

I have the actuator, cable, switch and a roll of 5/32 ready to go. So if I understand correctly the vacuum hoses will slide off the connector if I am careful......that's great. My poor old eyes were telling me the vacuum hoses were molded to the connector. This is good news.
Thanks everyone!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2018, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by man0steel
I have the actuator, cable, switch and a roll of 5/32 ready to go. So if I understand correctly the vacuum hoses will slide off the connector if I am careful......that's great. My poor old eyes were telling me the vacuum hoses were molded to the connector. This is good news.
Thanks everyone!!!!!!
They may appear molded because of age.. and shrinkage. LOL.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Starting Member

Yeah........my age

Old 08-16-2018, 04:12 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

Well it maybe the difference between 1st gen and 2nd gen or my org. boot may have been a aftermarket part but when cut down there was no plastic stems or any way to attach new hoses. Instead of trying to track down aftermarket or going to the dealership and paying out the you know where for a hose and boot setup and the fact my boot was shot as stated above I attached the new hoses directly to the switch, with no problems for 6 years
And manOsteel i can relate to thinking about age - I look in the mirror every morning and wonder just who the old fart is looking back at me

Last edited by odat; 08-16-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by odat
Well it maybe the difference between 1st gen and 2nd gen or my org. boot may have been a aftermarket part but when cut down there was no plastic stems or any way to attach new hoses. Instead of trying to track down aftermarket or going to the dealership and paying out the you know where for a hose and boot setup and the fact my boot was shot as stated above I attached the new hoses directly to the switch, with no problems for 6 years
And manOsteel i can relate to thinking about age - I look in the mirror every morning and wonder just who the old fart is looking back at me
Never thought of just connecting everything directly to the switch. Good idea.

I actually had to make an emergency run to a junkyard. I felt a little strange laying on the ground under a blazer viciously cutting away at hoses.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:14 AM
Starting Member

We have a you pull it yard here that deals with older vehicles and they get blazers in all the time. I go about once a month to see what they may have. Last spring I scored a ZR2 spare carrier, glass and gate for $70, felt like I hit the jackpot. Next time I'm there I will grab a good boot with plastic stems just to make sure its in hand when I begin this job.