2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

very hard start after sitting a day or overnight

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The rear of the filter is the inlet and has a 16mm steel flare fitting. Don't take it apart, (unless you're replacing the filter). The quick connect fitting is on the outlet of the filter, toward the front of the vehicle. Finding a female end, (16mm O ring flare) is tough, that's why we use the quick connect end of the filter, (much easier to get that fitting).

Last edited by Captain Hook; 08-20-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:16 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The rear of the filter is the inlet and has a 16mm steel flare fitting. Don't take it apart, (unless you're replacing the filter). The quick connect fitting is on the outlet of the filter, toward the front of the vehicle. Finding a female end, (16mm O ring flare) is tough, that's why we use the quick connect end of the filter, (much easier to get that fitting).
so with this test the fuel filter will still be on? sorry im trying to picture this given im more of a visual learner lol

Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Fuel filter remains on the frame with the steel inlet line connected to it. Remove the black plastic quick connect fitting from the front of the filter. Connect the adapter to the filter, and connect the pressure tester to the other end of the adapter. The adapter has a quick connect fitting, similar to the one you disconnect from the filter. The other end of the adapter has a fitting just like the service port by the distributor, but without the schrader valve. The 3/8" line connects the two fittings together. It MUST BE fuel injection rated line. Once you have all of the parts to assemble the adapter, you'll understand.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:06 PM

Fuel filter remains on the frame with the steel inlet line connected to it. Remove the black plastic quick connect fitting from the front of the filter. Connect the adapter to the filter, and connect the pressure tester to the other end of the adapter. The adapter has a quick connect fitting, similar to the one you disconnect from the filter. The other end of the adapter has a fitting just like the service port by the distributor, but without the schrader valve. The 3/8" line connects the two fittings together. It MUST BE fuel injection rated line. Once you have all of the parts to assemble the adapter, you'll understand.
ok now it makes sense. if im not mistaken i believe the actron i just purchased comes with 3/8'' fuel injection rated line if not i will pick it up from advanced. thank you again for the great write up! will definitely post results and hopefully we can get this pin pointed.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 PM

The pressure tester comes with a section of line and a steel fitting to fit on the service port. You need to purchase about 3' of fuel injection rated line to go between the 1/4" MFL and the quick connect fitting, (they both have 3/8" hose barbs on them).

Ain't no "hopefully" about it, this WILL pinpoint the problem.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:44 PM

i looked at the online service manual for the actron

http://www.actron.com/publish/2004/0...lish_16173.pdf
page 4 "for gm tbi vehicles without test port"

is this correct? trying to get a visual that works that makes my job easier lol

Old 08-21-2014, 03:08 PM

TBI does not have a service port, yours is CSFI and it has one. The Actron comes with a few adapters for checking other fuel injection systems, (like TBI) but the hose and fitting pictured in this link, (already connected to the tester) is the one you will use:
Robot Check Robot Check

It will connect directly to the service port by the distributor, and to the adapter that you make. It's self explanatory, when you get all of the stuff, you'll understand how it all goes together.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:33 PM
ccw1911 is on a distinguished road

Awesome info. I'm having a no start problem with my 99 four door. Between the info here and my own testing the fuel pump is bad, gas gauge hasn't worked for years so it will be a two for I hope.

If you have to replace the fuel pump what brand do you guys recommend? I have confidence in Delphi or OE but they are expensive, any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by ccw1911
Awesome info. I'm having a no start problem with my 99 four door. Between the info here and my own testing the fuel pump is bad, gas gauge hasn't worked for years so it will be a two for I hope.

If you have to replace the fuel pump what brand do you guys recommend? I have confidence in Delphi or OE but they are expensive, any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
head on amazon, you can get the OE delphi pump for $180.16

Amazon.com: Delphi FG0052 Fuel Pump Module: Automotive Amazon.com: Delphi FG0052 Fuel Pump Module: Automotive
you might want to consider getting this also
Amazon.com: ACDelco TR14 Ring Fuel Sendor: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco TR14 Ring Fuel Sendor: Automotive

mine was rusted out and amazon has the best prices ive found online or instore on both

Last edited by er0ck273; 08-21-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:42 PM

TBI does not have a service port, yours is CSFI and it has one. The Actron comes with a few adapters for checking other fuel injection systems, (like TBI) but the hose and fitting pictured in this link, (already connected to the tester) is the one you will use: Robot Check

It will connect directly to the service port by the distributor, and to the adapter that you make. It's self explanatory, when you get all of the stuff, you'll understand how it all goes together.
i understand the TBI connector that comes with the actron and how to do the check on the port near the distributor. with the list you gave me to make the adapter, im trying to picture it how it gets on the filter. like i said, it sucks being a visual learner

Quick Reply: very hard start after sitting a day or overnight