2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

very hard start after sitting a day or overnight

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:02 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Not a bad idea to replace the filter, or at least check it for restriction. Unless it's totally restricted, you'll still get an accurate pressure reading at the outlet.

Your leakdown reading at the service port is not indicating a problem with leakdown, anywhere in the fuel delivery system.However, 58psi at the service port is low, but without knowing what the maximum output pressure of the pump is, you don't know if the regulator is good or bad. The regulator prevents fuel pressure from rising above whatever the regulator is set for. For example: If regulated pressure shows 58psi, and the maximum output pressure of the pump is within spec, the regulator is bad. If the regulator is actually set for 63psi, and max output is only 58psi, the regulator isn't seeing enough pressure to be able to regulate at 63psi, and the pump is the problem.

Bottom line: You can not accurately condem the regulator, (unless it's leaking externally) until you know that maximum output pressure and leakdown at the pump are both within spec, and leakdown at the service port is within spec.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:24 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

that hose barb came in, i completed the adapter, relieved pressure in the system and got the in fuel hose off the filter, how the heck do you get that white clip off of it? or does the dorman 800-121 fit on that white clip? cause i cant figure it out at all

Old 08-25-2014, 06:06 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The white clip has two tabs that need to be released so they can fit over the bead on the filter outlet tube. Here is the link for the tool: Autocraft 3/8" Fuel Line Filter Tool AC504/W83131: Get the best Engine Tools at Advance Auto Parts Slide the tool over the filter outlet tube and it will release both tabs simultaneously. The 800-121 does not use a clip, that's the beauty of it. Lube it, push it on the tube until it clicks. To remove it from the filter, pull the black collar toward the body of the fitting.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:13 PM

naturally my advance doesnt have it, im "shocked" is there anyway to just pinch the tabs by hand of using some other hand tool to get it off?

Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 PM

You can use two, small flat blade screw drivers and carefully release both tabs and remove the clip.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
You can use two, small flat blade screw drivers and carefully release both tabs and remove the clip.
will try that now, thank you for the quick response

Old 08-25-2014, 06:40 PM

i dont get it! the quick connect pushes right on right? it keeps shooting off and spraying gas everywhere. what am i doing wrong. i got the white clip off btw
i heard it click over the bead. checked for tightness...was fine. checked all connections and turned the key to the ON. pressure built. splash....all over the place so i turned the key off. then tried it again and even tried pulling if off lightly, seemed tight. tried again. same results. then i guess i was sitting on my keys, remote start activated...got sprayed with gas. luckily i was smart and was wearing the proper gloves and goggles and got the hell out of there. i got lucky it didnt end up worse

UPDATE: Theres something definitely wrong with the 800-121. returned to to amazon, just purchased the 800-082, will be here in 2 days

Last edited by er0ck273; 08-25-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:01 PM

update, 082 connector works fine, no leaks.

making sure i did this right,
1) made connection at outlet of fuel filter.
2)turned key on, (pump made weird priming/winding noise,is that because hose is 58'' total?)
3) Pressure was at 86psi and dropping slowly (let it down to 70)
4) turned key off, pressure jumped back up to 88 psi and slowly dropped
5) 10 min leakdown pressure: 71psi

is the leakdown with the key off after the pump has primed? wanna make sure i did every step correctly

i did this test about an hour before and forgot to note results, was doing it again affect the outcome?

Old 08-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Beginning Member
koreiryuu is on a distinguished road

Something very similar is happening to mine. For me, though, I know there is a coolant leak somewhere.. It's not the water pump, so it's either the intake manifold gaskets or the head gaskets, and if the coolant is mixing with the gas or getting into your pistons, you're going to have a horrible time starting it up (like is happening with me). Mine even started making huge backfires while trying to start it.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by koreiryuu
Something very similar is happening to mine. For me, though, I know there is a coolant leak somewhere.. It's not the water pump, so it's either the intake manifold gaskets or the head gaskets, and if the coolant is mixing with the gas or getting into your pistons, you're going to have a horrible time starting it up (like is happening with me). Mine even started making huge backfires while trying to start it.
luckily the coolant looked pretty clear and full, thats the first thing i checked was oil and coolant both looked perfect. its weird though cause it runs perfectly after the roughest of starts, maybe a tad delay in acceleration at times but nothing real noticeable i just get paranoid easily lol

Quick Reply: very hard start after sitting a day or overnight