2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

very hard start after sitting a day or overnight

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Labor time is 2.2 hours, (for an experienced technician). If you haven't done one before, it will take longer.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:49 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

might just give gm a call and see if i can get a quote, as much as id hate to overpay, atleast they wont waste time/money on diagnosing whethers its fp or plenum granted thats been done. besides the 2 gaskets being replace for intake and tb, should anything else be done while the plenums off?

Old 08-31-2014, 08:07 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

That's where "product familiarity" comes into play. Being able to spot something that doesn't look right, and do the job correctly.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:14 PM

Im gonna let an ase certified mechanic work on it Friday. ..he asked if i ruled out crank sensor and electrical....if it was either of those i wouldnt have a leakdown right?

Old 09-11-2014, 04:03 PM

he said by the way i was describing it, it sounds like leaky fpr, and he had a blazer in the shop with the same complaints and said it turned out to be the coolant temp sensor, is it possible that its getting low fuel pressure due to the cts?

Old 09-11-2014, 07:28 PM

The engine coolant temp sensor, (ECT) has no affect on fuel pressure. However, if the ECT, IAT and ambient temperature are not within ~2 degrees of each other after the engine has been off for ~10 hours, there will be a driveability issue.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 09-11-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The engine coolant temp sensor, (ECT) has no affect on fuel pressure. However, if the ECT, IAT and ambient temperature are not within ~2 degrees of each other after the engine has been off for ~10 hours, there will be a driveability issue.
yea cause besides start up it seems to run fine, just maybe a slight hesitation if i try to start going as soon as it starts up, it hardly moves, then all the sudden jumps and goes then drives normally. as soon as he tells me whats leaking inside the plenum ill post results and if the problem is fixed for good

Old 09-12-2014, 05:22 PM

well that was pointless, he found nothing wrong with it
i left it overnight, and he said starting it this morning was fine, not even the slightest hesitation.
battery passed the load test
ran a scan tool with live data, and everything was in range including ects
said fuel pressure was fine, wasnt sure of exact number since main tech was the one doing it and left for the day. but it was above 60, and he said leakdown he saw nothing that was alarming.

told me to keep driving it and see what happens but he and another guy could find nothing wrong with it, started it up perfectly 8-10 times

is it possible, if there is a leak in the plenum, its so minor that sometimes it leaks and sometimes not, idk what would make it do that but who knows.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Beginning Member
Travis West is on a distinguished road

Did you ever find out what your problem was? I have the same problem! I have to make sure I start my truck everyday or it won't start. If I let it sit a day it won't start up. Now I have a coolant leak some where and it only leaks when I have the gas pedal pushed. The leaks coming above the the oil pan.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Travis West
Did you ever find out what your problem was? I have the same problem! I have to make sure I start my truck everyday or it won't start. If I let it sit a day it won't start up. Now I have a coolant leak some where and it only leaks when I have the gas pedal pushed. The leaks coming above the the oil pan.
have you replaced the lower intake gasket? honestly i let my mechanic look, he said everything on the live data was fine and fuel pressure was reading fine for key on engine off and leakdown was normal and it met the psi that captain hook gave me. its been fine and the problem has went away, so knock on wood, i hope it was a hiccup. lol

this may sound dumb, how olds your battery? my one buddy suggested i get it checked, and even though it was less than 2 years old it had hardly any cranking amps and i got another one under warranty so im glad he told me to check it. other than that nothing else was done to it, i cleaned the throttle body/plate and IAC and that may have helped my idle was a little erratic when it sat over a day

Quick Reply: very hard start after sitting a day or overnight