2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Warm up time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by terry s
On modern computer contolled cars everthing I have read says it is best to not let the engine warm up. It just wastes gas and contaminates the oil.
It is best to just drive easy until the temperature gauge starts to go up. The engine wams up much faster when it is working moving the vehicle instead of just idling.
If it is really cold such as getting close to 0 F or below it is good to let it run 2-3 minutes before driving.
I would rather be repeatedly stabbed in the eyes with paper clips than drive a vehicle with a cold steering wheel.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-27-2009, 01:28 AM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

On modern computer contolled cars everthing I have read says it is best to not let the engine warm up. It just wastes gas and contaminates the oil.
It is best to just drive easy until the temperature gauge starts to go up. The engine wams up much faster when it is working moving the vehicle instead of just idling.
If it is really cold such as getting close to 0 F or below it is good to let it run 2-3 minutes before driving.

I heard the same thing on "Trucks" from the powerblock. There is no reason to let newer engines warm up, just wait til the oil pressure is there and drive easy til it gets warmed up.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

As a force of habit i let both mine warm up for 5min er so

Old 12-27-2009, 02:05 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TFisher
If it's below 20*:
30 min W/ snow packed in the grille.
If it's between 21 and 32:
10 min
If it's between 33 and 40:
30-45 seconds
Above 41:
Start and go.

Note: Below 20, my fan clutch freezes and makes one heck of a racket until it warms up (bout two minutes).

Regards,

Thomas
Holy Crap!

Old 12-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by okvortec
Holy Crap!
Yeah, the neighbors love it too. I've had a complaint, but everyone on the block does it as well. The problem is mine is the only one that revvs up when it's really cold (the car does it, not me).

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Ikester is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a good point, the PCM will do all the calculations needed to allow the motor to run as best it can no matter what the temps are. I did some more research on it today and it appears your findings are accurate with modern day motors. (non carb)

Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

I firmly believe in decreasing the viscosity of the engine oil at least before taking off. Start 'er up and then scrape the windows, if in a safe place a cup of coffee and then hit the road. I mean, really, idling for an extra 5 minutes wastes how much gas a year? 2 gallons?

Old 12-29-2009, 12:40 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oisinirish
I firmly believe in decreasing the viscosity of the engine oil at least before taking off. Start 'er up and then scrape the windows, if in a safe place a cup of coffee and then hit the road. I mean, really, idling for an extra 5 minutes wastes how much gas a year? 2 gallons?
Good point. And if everyone in the USA used only an extra 2 gallons that would only be a measley 600 million gallons of gas.
No big deal.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Banned

Good point. And if everyone in the USA used only an extra 2 gallons that would only be a measley 600 million gallons of gas.
No big deal.
You've got to be kidding me. There is really nothing less important. If the gas in the mower is dirty, I put it at the end of the driveway and walk away 'till it stops, that is usually 2 gallons a year, do I care? Absolutely not. Seriously, I am NOT buying a new car sooner to save 2 gallons of gas a year. I'm sorry to be so harsh, but I deeply disagree with that opinion.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-29-2009, 08:34 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

To school is about 2 miles, to work is about 2.5 miles so I just leave it idle for a minute

I know I should leave it idle longer but sometimes I just don't have the time

If I drive any further I'll warm it just for around 5 minutes or until the air coming out of the heat is semi warm

Quick Reply: Warm up time?