2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wet Carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:36 PM
IanD is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Wet Carpet?

Hey everyone, I noticed that my passenger side carpet has been extremely wet after even the mildest of rain. Used the shop-vac, got all of the water out and this morning it's wet again. I've ruled out weather striping mainly because I cannot visibly see any water marks on any of the plastic in the cabin. I noticed after driving that there is quite a bit of water leaking in the wheel well from behind the plastic protective barrier. My cousin wasn't too sure although he had an idea that the _____ cowl (forgot the name) was clogged with leaves.

He also thought that the plastic between the hood and below the wipers could be the culprit, however I thought that this was the inlet for the AC - I could be wrong.

I drive a 00 S10 Blazer by the way.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:19 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

One way to find it is get a helper and your garden hose and have one of you sit inside with the carpet pulled back and move the hose around outside...that may help you zero on location

Old 08-06-2012, 07:14 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
One way to find it is get a helper and your garden hose and have one of you sit inside with the carpet pulled back and move the hose around outside...that may help you zero on location
Thats what I did, I removed my carpet totaly to dry out the underpadding so it wouldn't go sour or musty and got someone to spray water over the outside working from the bottom to the top and found that my weatherstripping wasn't quite pushed into the channel around the frame. good luck.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 PM
mychevyisntheavy is on a distinguished road

heater core

Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mychevyisntheavy
heater core
maybe, but he didnt mention any coolant smell.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 PM

Could it be the heater core? I don't know. I REALLY don't feel like pulling back any carpet or taking it out, it's really a last resort (even though it's wet.) I had a theory that there could be a leak in the under body of the blazer but the more and more I think about it the less I feel that's the problem. About that heater core, could that be a possibility? If I'm not working tomorrow I will try and head over to my cousin's to get a second opinion and to have a second set of eyes to help me look around.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 PM

Yeah, that's right (Warthog.) There is no coolant smell, I dabbed my finger in the drippings and it smelled like water.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:03 AM
247monster will become famous soon enough

bad door pins? maybe

Old 08-07-2012, 03:53 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

Does the carpet get wet when it's just sitting in the rain? Or, does the water accumulate while driving? Sometimes the seams on the underside by the door can develope a gap. Which is why water would be pushed up while driving.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:06 PM

To be honest, I'm not too sure. I just noticed that after a light drizzle the carpet was wet. While driving around the road was more damp than anything, barely any water.

Quick Reply: Wet Carpet?