Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   What brake pads do you recommend (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/what-brake-pads-do-you-recommend-63960/)

DaddysBlazer 10-15-2011 07:55 PM

Also something I didnt see any one tell you is if you need new rotors , the bearing for the wheels are inside them, so if you decide you need new rotors also plan on getting new wheel bearings, and packing grease also. changing the brake pads on these things can turn into a expensive job very quick if you want to do it right. Been there done that!

pettyfog 10-15-2011 09:52 PM

Ceramic
And I'm replacing the 18 month old ones on my Tbird w ceramic too. What a mess that old tech pad stuff makes.

Originally Posted by DaddysBlazer (Post 467200)
Also something I didnt see any one tell you is if you need new rotors , the bearing for the wheels are inside them, so if you decide you need new rotors also plan on getting new wheel bearings, and packing grease also. changing the brake pads on these things can turn into a expensive job very quick if you want to do it right. Been there done that!

Hmmmm...:icon_no:
Wonder why that wasnt brought up?

Lol... glad that happens to other people too. :icon_teeth:

DaddysBlazer 10-16-2011 03:11 PM

I have went with ceramic also, and new rotors, and wheel bearing. lol! Just a simple brake job and then mayham, So this has happened to you to I see? Lol my a$$!

LRV31 10-16-2011 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by pettyfog (Post 467219)

Hmmmm...:icon_no:
Wonder why that wasnt brought up?

Thats if you have a 2 wheel drive Blazer, the 4x4 uses a sealed wheel bearing unit and you won't have to worry about it.

mykeboy01 10-19-2011 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by comandoed (Post 467190)
I looked at the Napa website and saw 4 that had ceramic.
Adaptive, Ultra Premium, Safety Stop and Trustop. Which ones
are the ones you have experience with?

Ultra Premium, OE Ceramics (had to dig out the reciept to make sure). :icon_wink:

AJBert 10-19-2011 08:26 PM

Ceramic? Really?

Those of your running do realize that TRUE ceramic brakes are used in high end super cars/NASCAR/INDY, right? In order for them to work properly, they do need to be heated up. Once they are heated up, they work fantastic and can handle the heat.

I'll go out on a long limb and say no one here is running true ceramic brake pads. Maybe a sprinkling of ceramic in them but far from true ceramic pads. If anyone was there would be many people that have ran into the rear ends of the vehicles in front of them.

I've been running semi-metallic pads since buying my Blazer new. I'm on my third set with over 200,000 miles. Each time I've changed them, including the stock set of pads, they still had PLENTY of pad left.

And they stop every time. No brake dust, either.

Too much "To Fast and Furious" slipping into this forum, IMHO.

mykeboy01 10-19-2011 10:15 PM

With all due respect AJBert, our Chevy Blazers girth and anemic 4.3L powerplant hardly qualify us for "fast and furious" status. The True Ceramic brakes on my neighbors Porsche 911 cost him $8000, which is right about where a low mileage second-hand Blazer costs!!! I know that I am not running "true" ceramics in my truck, but as far as quality goes, Napa is awesome, and i've definetly gotten my $$$'s worth! They last in the Mountains with our 20-ish% grades, and I wouldn't be surprised to get 80k+ miles out of them before they are due to be replaced again. $70.00/set every other year beats the $30.00/set every other month, IMHO!

comandoed 10-21-2011 05:29 PM

Thanks to every single person that replied. All your input was carefully examined and weighed. Being that I am retired and do only city driving
of no more than 10 miles at a time I think am gonna go with the following
from Rockauto:

RAYBESTOS Part # PGD729C {#PGD729} Professional Grade $36.79
Rear; Ceramic; Originally Equipped With Ceramic; Contains Hardware
RAYBESTOS Part # PGD726C {#PGD726} Professional Grade; 2.400" X 6.570" $35.99
Front; Ceramic; Originally Equipped With Ceramic; Contains Hardware

The guy at rockauto told me the following:

I have sold a lot of the Raybestos Professional Grade products and have had good luck with them. I also recommend the ceramic for both axles because that is what your Blazer was originally equipped with.

After I install and use for a month I'll post if in fact I made the right choice.

dman001948 10-22-2011 06:04 AM

Well, first off, I have a 2000 LT 4x4 Blazer 4.3 and I got a zillion miles out of the stock pads factory install. I change my front brakes at 50K and they didn't need it. I change my rear brakes at 90K and they were like brand new. (still have them in a box) but, when I did replace them I went with the best ceramic autozone had with a life time warranty. I have a master mech who lives up the street from me (Works for volkswagon) and he stated that the factory brakes will last the longest they are make of a harder substance, but after that, no matter what you buy they won't be as good as the factory ones. I have 60K on the front now and they are looking good. Stay with the best you can afford and save yourself some grieve in changing them out to often. Oh and buy a can of the anti-sqeek (sp) and spray them prior to putting them on and you will be good to go.

pettyfog 10-22-2011 10:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by comandoed (Post 468426)
Thanks to every single person that replied. All your input was carefully examined and weighed. Being that I am retired and do only city driving
of no more than 10 miles at a time I think am gonna go with the following
from Rockauto:

RAYBESTOS Part # PGD729C {#PGD729} Professional Grade $36.79
Rear; Ceramic; Originally Equipped With Ceramic; Contains Hardware
RAYBESTOS Part # PGD726C {#PGD726} Professional Grade; 2.400" X 6.570" $35.99
Front; Ceramic; Originally Equipped With Ceramic; Contains Hardware

The guy at rockauto told me the following:

I have sold a lot of the Raybestos Professional Grade products and have had good luck with them. I also recommend the ceramic for both axles because that is what your Blazer was originally equipped with.

After I install and use for a month I'll post if in fact I made the right choice.

That's exactly what I bought for front. From RA. Plus Raybestos rotors.

And this is what I took off my 108 Kmile truck.

Attachment 38483
Attachment 38484
No idea what brand but scraping the better of the pads, I saw what appeared to be the same composition.

This after daily driving adding up to about 2000 miles. Figured the truck had sat a while before it went to auction but changed them because they just never 'cleaned up'. Funny, the thing stopped a little soft but no grinding, squeaks or pulling. A little pedal vibe sometimes, that's it.