Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   What to do about siezed up rear calipers? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/what-do-about-siezed-up-rear-calipers-98127/)

GreenBlazer2002 11-09-2018 05:14 AM

What to do about siezed up rear calipers?

Ok so over the past week I had a rear caliper sieze up on each of my Blazers. Luckily(?) it happened to be on opposite sides so all I had to do was swap out and have my dd back on the road.
But now I'm not sure what to do about the bad set. Do I:
A) Rebuild them ($)
B)Go pull a set from the boneyard($$)
or
C) Buy new/reman. ($$$)
Bear in mind I have never rebuilt a brake caliper before.
I can afford any of these options but like to save whenever possible.
What would you do and why?
Thanks!!

perumotors1369 11-09-2018 06:56 AM

junkyard...not 100% sure if any better than yours, of course, unless they look and are brand new. Not my choice.
rebuild..I wouldn't
parts store and get a re-manned caliper or new-whichever your store has to offer and depending on price. I wouldn't shy away from either new or re-man although someone may prefer one or the other. I myself would by a known brand name, whichever was less. It's nice in some cases to get the bracket as well then your preparation time is reduced.
good luck-Jerry

GeorgeLG 11-09-2018 09:52 AM

We used to get seal kits and rebuild them all the time when I was a kid but the last couple of times I tried this they would seize up. Idk if it’s the seal rubber, pistons or what. Now I just get remans with LLT warranty and get back on the road. These are so readily available and cost effective. If we were talking some high end sports car specialty equipment then that would be different.

George

GreenBlazer2002 11-10-2018 12:11 AM

Well since rebuilding seems dicey at best, and you really don't know what you're getting at the boneyard until you go through the trouble of installing and actually using it, I'm going to buy either new or reman units. But man, there are so many choices. Looks like at least $100 minimum, which isn't bad.
Now to figure out where to buy from and what brand. Research time. Thanks!!

GreenBlazer2002 11-10-2018 01:19 AM

Ordered reman units with ceramic pads included for $104 with free shipping on Ebay. Best deal I could find.
Also ordered ceramic front pads from rockauto for just under $20, including shipping.

GeorgeLG 11-10-2018 03:40 AM

I use Wagner thermoquiet pads on everything unless it high performance. Great pads.

George

Mike.308 11-10-2018 04:07 AM

I am on rebuilt calipers on BBP parts for over a year now. No issues, work as expected.

swartlkk 11-10-2018 09:00 AM

Good call on the remans. While you're replacing things, I would recommend new caliper brackets for the rear as well. They are fairly cheap insurance as to not burning up your pads again due to a sticking slider pin(s). The caliper brackets on the rear of these trucks like to cease up regardless of how well you get them cleaned up and lubricated during a rebuild.

GreenBlazer2002 11-10-2018 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 698462)
Good call on the remans. While you're replacing things, I would recommend new caliper brackets for the rear as well. They are fairly cheap insurance as to not burning up your pads again due to a sticking slider pin(s). The caliper brackets on the rear of these trucks like to cease up regardless of how well you get them cleaned up and lubricated during a rebuild.

Just checked and the kit comes with new brackets. So much the better 😁👍.

GreenBlazer2002 11-11-2018 01:26 PM

The caliper I swapped onto my 02 from my 01 is leaking now. It wasn't leaking before I swapped it so I know it's something I messed up. I bolted it up just like it was. Where did I go wrong?